Matilda01
Newly Registered

Cucs seem to be dieing :-(

I noticed the other day that the leaves of my cucs were wilting, figured I would let it go for a day or so because it's been quite hot out and thought maybe it was because of that.

I went out this morning to weed, etc and it looks to me that the one plant is dieing!!!

I am going to be posting pictures shortly.

I have had the hardest time growing cucumbers. Last year they died right away, this year I started out with one plant and it died. These 2 plants were doing great for a while but not growing cucs, now they are dieing.

Any one else having issues? Know what MIGHT be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Ashlee :D

SPierce
Greener Thumb

How hot has it been, and how often are you watering them? A lot of plants are wilting due to the heat lately around our area- if I go out and look at the garden anywhere between 10am and 5pm, I freak out because everything looks like it's dying! Do the leaves bounce back in the early morning late evening?

I have also noticed that plants started from seed, seem to be doing better than plants that were bought.. did you happen to plant them in peat pots, or anything else also? Fertilize recently?
Last edited by SPierce on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I bought cucs from home depot and it seems that almost every year they die or don't produce anything. I went to big lots and bought a cuc plant (not sure what kind...it was cheap too) and have had an amazing amount of cuc production.

I look forward to seeing the pics so I can give my opinion as to whats causing your cuc problems.

Matilda01
Newly Registered

Here is the link to the pictures. Thanks

https://mattashleesphotos.shutterfly.com/pictures/119

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

hmmm, it might be bacterial wilt. Here's links for more info:

https://gardening.about.com/od/problemspests/qt/Cucumber_Wilt.htm

https://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef311.asp

mmmfloorpie

Francis Barnswallow wrote:I bought cucs from home depot and it seems that almost every year they die or don't produce anything. I went to big lots and bought a cuc plant (not sure what kind...it was cheap too) and have had an amazing amount of cuc production.

I look forward to seeing the pics so I can give my opinion as to whats causing your cuc problems.
Last year was the first year I grew cucumbers and I had dozens of them! I also had to contend with dusty mildew because my plants were up against a wall.

The things I learned about cucumbers are:

1) They can never get enough water! They soak it up and use it in their juicy melons :P

2) Avoid watering the leaves. I know we all like a glistening leaf, but this contributes to dusty mildew. Just water the soil!

Matilda01
Newly Registered

Francis Barnswallow:

So I cut the parts of the plant that were dead or dieing and sure enough I squeezed it and this oozy sticky substance came out.

The other plants seems to be okay but only time will tell. I searched for this little yellow bugs too but didn't see them.

These cucumbers are giving me a run for my money.

carol_in_va

I've had to pull all of my cucumbers for the same reason. So heartbreaking! Especially when everything around them is still doing just fine. We were really looking forward to salad cukes and pickles, too. Oh well, next year we'll be even more watchful. :evil:

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

These cucumbers are giving me a run for my money.
It happens to me every year. I'll purchase around 15 cucumber transplants and only one or two of them actually grow and produce decent numbers of cucs.

The rest will wilt or not do anything and slowly dry up and die. -wall-

Ladybug027

My first set died fairly quicky as well, so I bought a second set and potted them adding sand to my soil and they are doing well so far. They have lots of male flowers right now and hopfully soon some females will come along for me to pollinate.

Matilda01
Newly Registered

Update on the cucs;

The one plant with the bacterial wilt is dead *moment of silence*

Good news! My other cuc plant is still alive and is actually growing a cuc!!!! Let's hope the bacterial wilt doesn't get to that one!!

Brandywinegirl

Wilt happens to the best of us!! Maybe next year consider planting your own from seed. They are much healthier. It's very easy to do - just start them inside. and when they are big enough, transplant them. Good luck with the plant that's growing!! :flower:

albucsfan
Cool Member

No advice, just moral support, looks exactly like what happened to one of mine.....on the bright side, it doesn't seem to be spreading to the other 2, despite the fact that my 6 year old planted them and they are so close together that you can tell which is which....heh.

Good luck!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”