gardenbean

Yellow leaves on my tomatoes.......

So what are my plants telling me? What are they lacking when they suddenly display yellows leafs on the bottom branches of my tomato plant? (They are going gang busters on producing tomatoes though. )
Learning as I go and surprising myself when it all comes together......

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I'd guess nitrogen deficiency.
Avoid predictable disaster caused by unpredictable events, keep yourself open to positive outcomes from improbable events. -Aaron C. Brown

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

could be a lot of things pics would help.

It could be nutrient deficiency or disease or but related.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If they are the lower branches only, maybe nothing. The plant maybe just shedding some older unneeded branches. I would just trim them off for better air circulation.

Eric

gardenbean

Someday soon I am going to learn how to post up pixs. In the meantime I gave the plants some fish fertilzier and am trimming again the bottom stems for better air movement.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

I have the same thing with some of my tomatoes, I just trim the bottom branches.

Fig3825

I had this happen in the tomato area of my garden a couple years ago. It was because I planted them virtually on top of each other and had way too many tomatoes in too little space.... Are yours close together?

I'm in agreement with most here... Once they are producing well, almost all of my lower leaves have started to yellow and drop...

gardenbean

Fig3825 wrote:I had this happen in the tomato area of my garden a couple years ago. It was because I planted them virtually on top of each other and had way too many tomatoes in too little space.... Are yours close together?

I'm in agreement with most here... Once they are producing well, almost all of my lower leaves have started to yellow and drop...
After reading the replies I went and really look at my tomato plants. And yes they are rather close to each other (to late to move them now, they are successfully climbing the 8ft fence I have them climbing on.
So I am going to go out and prune all lower branches again so there is a good air movement and make mental note to self not to plant as close to each other as I did this year.

StreedGardens
Newly Registered

Lower tomatoe leaves

I concur with most of the replies gardenbean. I have been growing tomatoes for over 30 years, and almost always the lower leaves yellow. I typically prune any leaf or branch that rests on the ground, yellow or not (plants grow in cages-big cages). I think this is normal. If the yellowing moves up the plant, then you need to reconsider.

plant lover
Newly Registered

What's happening to my tomatoes? (Pictures attached)

I'm having a similar problem. I'm growing tomatoes in a pot on my patio and they've been showing strange symptoms this past month. I've done some searches but can't pinpoint a single reason or how to make it better.

Here are my symptoms:
-leaves are turning yellow and drying up...most from bottom up but also a few branches in between
-tomatoes have dark spots on the bottom...almost as if they're rotting
-leaves aren't as lively as they used to be...they're wilting
-the drained water in the tray is a light brown...all my other plants have clear water.

I have no idea if this is a disease or calcium deficiency or insects.

Please help!

Image[/url]

davefromwestchester

DoubleDogFarm wrote:If they are the lower branches only, maybe nothing. The plant maybe just shedding some older unneeded branches. I would just trim them off for better air circulation.

Eric
I add my vote to "it's probably nothing"...I just asked the same question. If they are on the very bottom of the plant and it's only a handful of branches and leaves, then just snip them off. Those leaves are no longer of use to the plant whichg is sending nutrients and stuff to the top. They did their job and they have been released from duty...but then again, I could be totally wrong!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

PLant lover- it's quite possible your tomato could be root bound.. have you checked around in the dirt to see if there are roots growing all around below the top level of dirt? I've got my tomato in a 20 gallon container, and IT's crazy rootbound right now.

Signal30
Cool Member

The brown spots on the bottom is Blossom End Rot. It's from a lack of calcium.

My Romas seem to be the most at risk to that. I never let leaves touch the ground so their is around 18 inch clearance. I have been told that you never should have the soil splash up onto the leaves when watering at the bottom and not let anything touch the soil so there is plenty of clearance at the bottom.

I have leaf roll at the bottom of my plants but they are still green and alive.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Plant lover - you would have done better to post your picture and question in your own thread rather than hijacking someone elses.

But unlike garden bean who probably just has normal yellowing of aging bottom leaves, your plants have a problem.

The tomatoes with the blackened rotten spots do have Blossom End Rot. Type that in to the Keyword Box that comes up when you click on Search the Forum in the horizontal menu bar above. There's lots here about it, including a Sticky at the top of this forum.

But the BER would not cause the yellowing you have. Your plant(s) look to be in a pretty small container (is that all one plant or more?) How are you fertilizing your container? Could be a nutrient deficiency. Could be your plant is getting root bound or getting root rot if your container doesn't drain well and stays wet a lot.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”