steveclarke1961
Newly Registered

Leaf Gowing On Cucumber Fruit

Hi, 1st year growing, I have a Mini Petita cucumber plant with plenty of fruit. The largest 2 of the fruit have a single leaf growing on them. I have searched the internet and can only find 1 example in 2008 Japan, I presume this is not normal, why?

[img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/Steveclarke1861/Cucumber.jpg[/img]

thanks

Steve

vegetable-gardener88

There is no reason - I'd take it off and let it keep growing. Maybe it got confused and thought it was a plant :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

You got me really curious with that. I searched with all kinds of terms and came up dry. I'm calling it a "sucker", but I haven't a clue what would cause it beyond freak genetics. It might actually be common for that cultivar, but I can't find anything. Where did you find the occurrence in Japan?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

https://www.japanprobe.com/2008/06/14/weird-cucumber-leaf/

Eric

steveclarke1961
Newly Registered

Yeah, found the same story in Japan, but nothing else.

Very strange, sounds uncommon. Not sure if it will affect the taste yet, or if the rest of the cucumbers will have the same growth.

applestar
Mod

Weird! :shock:

So what's the likely explanation? Random development of wrongly coded embryonic cell? Microscopic grafting or injection of a leaf cell or DNA/RNA onto the developing fruit or virus-induced mutation? Can insects possibly be a vector for that?

steveclarke1961
Newly Registered

OK, a lot of that I don't understand.

The plant was purchased from a garden centre and planted straight into the greenhouse (No fruits at that time). I have red spider mites and have introduced Phytosieulus persimilis to combat them (although I think I am losing the battle). Other than that I have done nothing other than water.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Flower petals and sepals are modified leaves, so like the occasional horse born with the ancestral three toes, it is possible for development to get a little screwed up and revert to the ancestral state. Plants are a lot more plastic and less complicated than animals so developmental screwup don't kill them as easily, and so you see more oddities with plants.

...or God put it there.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

...or God put it there.
TZ, Don't open a can of worms. :wink:

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Just trying to cover all the bases.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^^...or 'the can of worms' put it there.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

^^...or 'the can of worms' put it there
I can accept that. :wink: :lol:

Eric

applestar
Mod

Could it be an extremely mild case of Aster Yellows?
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211230

newag

Don't have time right now and this isn't the place for this topic, but just to give heads up, I'm going to post a picture of a zucchini flower I just had that had two pistols in it. (When telling my husband I accidentally said "piston" to which he had to correct me....) hahahahahahahaha! I'll post on a new topic showing this when I get a chance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

newag wrote:Don't have time right now and this isn't the place for this topic, but just to give heads up, I'm going to post a picture of a zucchini flower I just had that had two pistols in it. (When telling my husband I accidentally said "piston" to which he had to correct me....) hahahahahahahaha! I'll post on a new topic showing this when I get a chance.
It didn't have pistons and it doesn't have pistols either (handguns). It has a pistil: " The female, ovule-bearing organ of a flower, including the stigma, style, and ovary."
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Yeah, understandable mistake. Plant names are funny that way. Their seeds have radicle root tip (instead of radical). Also flower bracts not brackets, petals rather than pedals, etc. ...you sow seeds not sew or saw.... :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”