LizNMikeWood
Newly Registered

Opps I think we over sprayed our peach tree.

Last earth day my husband and I purchased a peach tree at Lowes, one of the super sweet self pollinating trees. This is our first fruit bearing tree or any tree for that matter. We weren't aware of all the care and problems peach trees have, but after much research we rose to the challenge. The tree did well last year and had nice leaves and we had very few problems with insects/fungus.

This year for the most part the leaves came in nice and it flowered and we even have 5-6 peaches starting to grow! There were some branches that failed to produce any leaves so we pruned them. My husband sprayed the tree 5 days ago and it started dropping leaves shortly after. Unfortunately we now think he mixed the spray to strong. We used the Green Light Fruit tree spray, the same we used last year. We did lose some leaves last year as well but not this many. Te week or so before he sprayed we had rain almost every day, some times rather heavy. The tree is placed where excess water would drain to the bottom of our yard though. I'm not entirely sure he mixed the spray to strong, but we are going to re mix and re measure before we spray again. If we did in fact over spray the tree would it cause leaf loss? And if we we did over spray is there any way to correct the damage we may have caused. I can include pictures tomorrow of the tree and the leaves it has lost if that will help.

we love our little tree and were VERY excited we may have a few peaches this year if we could fight off the bugs and mold. Any advice is welcome as we are total "noobs" to fruit producing trees.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I'm afraid that I do not know this make of spray this side of the pond. however I looked it up on the web and it seems that it is mainly Neem oils and pyrethrum.
Neither of these should have affected your tree.
What was the weather at the time of spraying.
It is very easy to scorch leaves with sprays if the sun is hot as the salts in the sprays can magnify the suns effects.

Be a little patient and see if the buds re-sprout over a week or so. If they do not then I would suggest you trim the shoots back a little and see if they are still healthy and not dying back at all.

The one thing that peaches do not appreciate at all is getting wet over the period from burst to blossom fall.
This is the major infection period for leaf curl as the spores are water born.
If your tree is a small one it would thank you enormously if you could give it a rain shelter on wet days dureing that period.

Good luck
:?
An apple a day.....keeps me in work.

LizNMikeWood
Newly Registered

Thank you. I just went out and looked at the tree. The 3 peaches we had are still on the tree but most of the leaves are gone. We have had some REALLY strange weather here. The flowers budded and fell and then we had 2 weeks of rain and fairly high winds, including tornado warnings for about 2 weeks. Temps were in the 50's and 60's the tree was full and seemed happy. Now we have had 3-4 days of temps in the 90's one storm with really high winds and some rain but it wasn't all day. My husband sprayed the tree around 10 am on the first day of nice weather. So, I'm gonna guess we scorched the leaves. There seems to be some new growth budding right now any way so I hope our little tree can make a come back. There are some brown spots on some of the remaining leaves and some bug holes, but we were un able to spray the tree earlier due to the rain. The peaches we have seem un touched no brown spots or evidence of bugs eating at them but they are now exposed to direct sunlight as most of the leaves are gone. I'm almost embarrassed to post pictures of the tree now.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”