AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

Baby toes - Fenestraria aurantiaca leaf cuttings

My son purchased Fenestraria aurantiaca and several leaves broke off on the trip home. I've taken these broken leaves and allowed the ends to dry and have planted them but I can't find much info online about it producing a new plant from cuttings. I mostly come across information about the seeds. Anyone have any luck with cuttings from this plant?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Wish someone would answer, I'd like to know too!! :)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

[url]https://grow.ars-informatica.ca/plant.php?L=531&nm=Fenestraria%20aurantiaca[/url]

This says a tiny bit but hopefully enough to help? = /
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The page you linked says the species can be started from leaf cuttings. You allowed them to callus off, and you planted them. Now, you have to wait. It's spring, so they should begin to root within a few weeks, I would think.

Moisten the soil at the time the leaf cuttings are planted, then allow it to dry. The drying stimulates the plant to send out roots in search of water. If the leaf begins to look a bit wrinkled or wilted, it needs water again. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

Thank you BewilderedGreeny and Kisal! :D

AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

No luck. :?

FistulinaHepatica

Don't throw them away just yet! I had some (unknown species) succulent or cactoid leaves that I left in a pot all forgotten (I let the growing medium dry out in the meantime) for about 8 months. It looked like it wasn't doing anything ... but upon closer inspection I found a teeny weeny pup just pushing it's way out of the base of the leaf! Happy joy. Be patient! They're tough little buggers and will pop out when you stop inspecting it every day :lol: maybe it's just shy ....
The mighty Oak is just another lonely nut who stood its ground ...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree! Don't be too hasty to toss them. I've had the same kind of experience, with them suddenly sprouting long after I thought they were goners. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

I'll leave it be then but they all shrivaled up one by one. :oops:

Kubricked
Newly Registered

Re: Baby toes - Fenestraria aurantiaca leaf cuttings

I have the answer for you. You should do nothing. Don't plant the cuttings. When they fall off or you can even remove one just simply let them rest on moist soil. Keep the soil moist. They will form new plants in no time. I have made hundreds like this.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”