Beerguy
Newly Registered

Hops

I know this is not a typical plant for most gardens. I brew my own beer and want to start growing my own Hop plants. I would like to know if Hop plants will grow well in Western Montana? I am not sure if the climate is appropriate for these plants. Thanks.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Beerguy,

Depending on how far west you are, your hardiness zone could be 3, 4 or 5.
[img]https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/cropmap/montana/maps/MThardy.jpg[/img]

Hops - Humulus lupulus are hardy in zones 5 to 8, but I've seen reports of some people growing it in zone 4.

Newt

WHAT IS A HOP PLANT SHOW US

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sharon, hops is a vine and if you click on the links in my post to Beer Guy you will get lots of info on them.

Also, please remove your caps lock from your keyboard. In computer language it means you are yelling and it's hard on the eyes.

Thanks,
Newt

im sorryim new a computer and not surewhat i was i doing

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I know that hops grows wild in some parts of England, you may wish to do a little research when you get home to see if their are any native varieties around where you live.

Beerguy
Newly Registered

Thanks

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

I grow the ornamental golden hops in zone 5a. It dies back in the Fall but puts up new shoots all over the place in the Spring.

Marie

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Marie, maybe you and beerguy can share information. Though, if beerguy can find a place to harvest naturally growing hops, that would also work.

Return to “Perennials”