MoonLily

Identifying house plants - Need help

Can anyone name these plants?

Thank you for your help!
MoonLily :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I could probably help more if your pics weren't so tiny, but I think I recognize a few. I can't see enough detail to give you actual genus and species, but I can get you in the ballpark for a couple of the plants.

1 might be a coleus.

2 I can't tell.

3 might be a Persian violet.

4 might be some kind of ivy.

5 looks like a Dracaena.

6 I can't tell.

7 I can't tell.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

MoonLily

Wow, thank you for your quick reply. :)

Would a link help? I haven't figured out how to make my pictures bigger in a post. :oops:

https://picasaweb.google.com/cormiermev ... directlink

MoonLily :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, the link helps a lot. However, I don't think I'm going to be much help to you. I feel as though some of your plants look familiar, and yet they're not quite right for what I think they could be. :lol:

Based on the coloration and shape of the leaves and their edges, #1 still looks rather like a coleus. But the texture and stems look wrong. Coleus have soft leaves and square stems, while the stems on your plant look round. Does your plant have leathery leaves? I have no idea what it could be. (Interestingly, I did come across a different plant -- different leaf shape entirely -- that had the exact leaf coloration yours has, that kind of odd, random blotchiness. It was not identified, but simply noted as an L-ll chimera. I don't know exactly what that is, so I can't explain it to you. The extent of my knowledge is that such plants start with a mutation, which might be caused by a disease or improper culture, and spreads by vegetative propagation, i.e. starting new plants from cuttings. There are many variations of plants that start this way and become popular. (Let me be very clear, however, that I don't know what your plant is, and the curiosity I found could be, and probably is, totally irrelevant. ;) )

#2 I have to do further research.

#3 is not a Persian violet, so I have to look further for that, as well.

I want to say that #4 is variegated Swedish ivy (Plectranthus coleoides 'Variegatus'), and yet I'm uneasy about it. It's "off" in some vague way that I can't quite pinpoint. :?

In a similar fashion, I would like to say #5 is Dracaena marginata and yet, it isn't quite "right" for that. I understand there are some species of yucca that very closely resemble certain Dracaena species. If the edges of the leaves feel rough when you run your finger along them, then it could be that you have a yucca.

#6! Aha! It looks like Hoya compacta 'Indian Rope'. I'm almost certain that's what it is. Has it ever bloomed for you?

#7 I don't recognize. It resembles what is called Creeping Charlie in the U.S., but I'm not sure that's what it is.

I don't feel that I've been any help at all, but perhaps another member will stop by and offer better information. [img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/dunno.gif[/img]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

#6 is definately an Indian Rope Hoya, the other ones I don't know about. Sorry. Look really healthy though. One question, do you water it from the top or bottom of the pot???? Thanks.

mtmickey

I may be wrong, but #4 looks like a wandering jew to me

MoonLily

Thanks everyone!

Indian rope! Good, I have one more name. :) :) 6 to go and then we attack the outdoors. hehehe

Kisal:
#1, It does not have soft leaves. Could it be "emerald gaity"?

#4, I think you might be right with "Plectranthus coleoides 'Variegatus'"! :)

#5 - I don't think it is a yucca. I've had yuccas in the past and this feels totally different. At the moment, it is about 10-12 inches high, and growing fast. It is one main stem of about 1" thick at the base, from which grow long, thin pointy leaves. The leaves are flexible, and so is the stem. The leaves are a tender green on top, and are the same green underneath, with an added purple'ish coloration. I'll try to take more detailed pictures of it tomorrow.

#7, callisia repens?

Green Mantis:

At the moment, I water all my plants from the top, under leaves, directly on soil, whenever I feel they might need it. I am trying to deepen my knowledge of each plant for better care. I love plants but lost many in the past. I decided it's time I research a bit and learn to take care of them according to each individual plant's needs! :)

mtmickey:

Thank you for your input. It is not wandering jew. It looks very different.

Thanks again everyone for helping me with this! :)

Moonlily

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

moonlily, If you water under the leaves, how long have you been doing that? I am just really curious, because the next ones I get I desperately want to live. So hopefully you have been doing that for quite awhile? Thanks in advance. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I believe you may be right that #1 is a Euonymus, but I don't think 'Emerald Gaity' would be the cultivar. To me, it looks more like Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n Gold'. Or maybe even Euonymus japonica 'Aureomarginata'.

What do you think of those as possibilities?

I agree with you that #7 is Callisia repens. In support of mtmickey, I have to say that that plant is, indeed, known in the U.S. by the common names of Inch Plant and Wandering Jew. I didn't see that the undersides of the leaves were purple, until I looked at some of the other shots of the plant at your link. :)

So, at this point, we still have to ID #s 2, 3 and 5 ... is that correct? :?:

MoonLily

Hi guys,

Let's see...

#1 - Euonymus

Maybe the picture is a little off, but the leaves really are green on green. So it doesn't seem to fit with "Emerald 'n gold" or japonica ' Aureomarginata.

Hehehe, Kisal, you noticed the purple under leaves before I did! At first I thought you saw wrong, so I went to verify... and sure enough, it's ever so slightly purple on the undersides of some leaves (not all though... it's quite faint on most).
However, I am confused with its name. When I research Callisia repens and Inch Plant / Wandering Jew, I don't get the same plant. Is it because I have a variety that looks different but is still called that?

So we have:

1- Euonymus of some sort
2- ?
3- ?
4- ?
5- Dracaena marginata (but you were not 100% certain)
6- Hoya compacta 'Indian Rope'
7- Callisia repens / Inch plant / Wandering Jew

Green Mantis

I've had #1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 only about a month, so I have no idea yet if they are really happy or not.

#5 I've had for a good 9 months and it's grew a lot since I got it as a little tiny baby plant. It is currently sitting on the window sill of a south-east window and receives water regularly. In the start, I had put it in a north-west window and it really did not like it. It started growing when I moved it to the other side of the house. :)

#6 (indian rope) I received in October from a family member. It was tied around metal loops to give it a shape. I got tired of the shape and I also found the leaves were starting to wrinkle, so I untied the whole thing and cut a lengh off each "rope". I did that about a month ago. It's been sitting in my bathroom ever since and has not changed at all... But it hasn't died either. lol

What is the plant you are getting?

Thanks again everyone for your help! I'm going to add pictures very soon for more details on those plants we are still trying to identify.

MoonLily

MoonLily

I have added a couple of pictures to the link. :)

MoonLily

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”