yontey
Newly Registered

My Crab Apple Bonsai suddenly dried out

I have a crab apple bonsai tree which I have had for about three years. It has always been healthy and it throws lovely little white flowers for most of the years.

I noticed it looked dull yesterday and today it seems to have completley dried out. I have always kept it watered properly and the soil had not dried out at anytime. I did notice some white spots on many leaves.

It is keep on a window sill by the front door and the window has a net curtain and is westerly facing.

I have repotted it in fresh soil/peat mix and also removed the leaves.

Could anyone advise please?

Gnome
Mod

yontey,

Hello and welcome. From your description it seems that you have not allowed the tree a dormant period each winter. Is that correct? It could be that it simply 'wore itself out' for lack of a better term. Deciduous trees generally have a dormancy requirement that cannot be circumvented long term.

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

Other than that, try to determine if anything has changed that might account for its decline.

yontey
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advise and it could be that it was not allowed to rest up, as it were, in winters.

It amazed me it just went in two days though with no warning but I'll leave it a while to see what happens because isn't a rule of thumb that it takes a year yo say a tree is dead?

Gnome
Mod

yontey,

It never hurts to hold onto an apparently dead tree for a while, it might surprise you. Is there any chance of putting it into an emergency dormancy? I suppose you are coming out of winter soon as are we. Do you by any chance have access to spare refrigerator? The link I posted earlier discusses that possibility.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”