tkmobile
Newly Registered

Starting with spruce seeds, need advice

Hey, I'm new to bonsai as can be though I've read some general information before now. Anyway, to the point, my father gave me a starter bonsai kit as a surprise gift this Christmas-- A Colorado blue spruce-- which contains seeds, a pot, and some fertilizer/dirt.

I'm aware of the time this will take and already found out through research that this blue spruce is going to be an outdoor bonsai, which I don't mind since I'm in the mountains and aside from making sure the eventual plant doesn't freeze, it'll fit right in. My window's situated to give the plant plenty of light (either inside or on the window sill,) too.

However, the reason I'm here today is because the in-kit instructions, typically, are vague. I'll probably eventually be getting a guide book, but at the moment I'm holding a clear tub of seeds in a pre-planted tub. The instructions say to poke some holes in the bottom, and then put the bulbs in shallow warm water for about 20 minutes until the soil is saturated....

...And then the instructions skip ahead to when the seeds begin to sprout.

Here's where I need help: I know that sprouting will take weeks/months. But am I supposed to water the seedlings as described for 20 minutes a day until that happens? Or do I water them every few days, once a week?

How should I keep them watered enough? Not too much, or not too little; how can I ensure the safety of these seeds?
"You cannot call Groo names he does not understand!!!"

manofthetrees

Howdy,

if I'm correct the soil they gave you when soaked will expand, its kinda like a dry sponge. it shouldnt take to long, definately not weeks or months, to have them sprout.i wouldn't soak them again after the first time but jst keep an eye on them so they don't dry out and water them like a normal plant if they need it. my kids have similar kits but i havnt checked them out yet... best of luck

tkmobile
Newly Registered

Hey, thanks dude. When they sprout, I'm to put a 'green house' lid over them, but do I water them in the same fashion as soaking them in the water or would you recommend watering them the old fashion way? Again, the kit's a little vague on how much water these seedlings will need...
"You cannot call Groo names he does not understand!!!"

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

if this anything like the jiffy propagation kits, the pellets will expend into a brown color after watering. As it dries to beige color, it's time to water. I'd keep the cover on from day one. Open it slightly after seeds sprout for proper ventilation. You'll know there's too much water if the box gets too much condensation under temperature swings. You can control the ventilation by the amount of lid opening. After you see a couple sets of true leaves. the seedlings can be potted on their own. Avoid burning them under direct sunlight.
ficus, maple, elm, juniper, pine

Marsman
Green Thumb

Bonsai seeds. :?

Reminds me of these:
[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Various%20Hosting%20Pics/donut-seeds-20091111-222834.jpg[/img]

They are fun, and in 15 or 20 years, you may have a tree you can shape into a bonsai. Maybe. I don't mean to be discouraging and I'm not being sarcastic, but you're better off planting the seeds in the ground in Spring and letting them grow naturally.

[url=https://www.chinesebonsaigarden.com/colorado-blue-spruce-bonsai-tree/]They can mature into a beautiful bonsai.[/url] But, look at the trees in that link. Now, imagine how long it will take to grow a seed to that maturity. You are much better off purchasing a tree that is in pre-bonsai status and working with that.

Unless you're doing this as a fun project with a kid, those kits are just a novelty.

froggy

Love the donut seeds :lol:
;)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”