furiku-sho
Newly Registered

Dormancy suggestion for Juniper

I was traveling from Southern California to Reno just yesterday when I saw a sign saying "Bonsai trees." I bought one and it was a juniper. It is my first.

Reading through your forum about the dormancy period, would keeping it in the garage this winter suffice? It will have indirect sunlight.

Our winter nights will be cold 20*F to below zero, and the days can be as warm as in the 50's.....sometimes 60's.

As far as winter watering: would a "finger check" still be needed? misting? soaking?

As this is being posted, i am still reading- searching to do the right thing.

I have always been intrigued by the art form and have now jumped in to embrace it.

Thank you for your time,

furiku sho

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Junipers are hardy trees and can easily withstand cold temperatures; in fact most prefer it. Therefore, it is not necessary to keep it in your garage, as it will do fine outdoors. As for watering, I'm not so sure about (I've never cultivated a juniper in your climate zone), but I'd say they like moisture in the winter and to go somewhat dry in the summer. That's how I do mine anyway.

I don't think it will need to be misted. Most junipers are dry-climate trees.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

furiku-sho
Newly Registered

garage

Well, from the information that I can gather from my reading, I can place the bonsai container in a box that is lined with mulch to pprotect the roots and keep it in the garage where the temperature is cold but it will be shielded from the nasty winds that come down from the Sierra.

There will be indirect sunlight in the garage and there will be protection against frost.

Then I think I would want to check the ground for moisture and add water when needed.

Right now it is in our kitchenbut I will be making the move soon to go into the garage, most likely this weekend.

It is a beautiful little tree.

nicklangevin
Newly Registered

you can mulch the pot, but you really don't have to. but, better safe than sorry, right?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I don't know if it is necessary to protect it that much, but I suppose it won't hurt either. Any idea what kind of juniper it is?
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”