RoInferno
Newly Registered

Desert Rose Question

hi everyone, my 2 y/o desert rose plant is having some problems with its leaves. the end of the leaves are turning brown and dying off... but only on some. iv attached a picture. does anyone know what is going on, and what i can do to fix it?

[img]https://h1.ripway.com/HoJO12/IMG_0328.JPG[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You've had the plant for 2 years? Have you recently moved it to a different location in your house? Changed the watering schedule? Anything?

I don't grow Desert Rose, myself, but there is an older thread here by a member who has a lot of experience with them. Perhaps there will be something there that will be of help to you. If not, one of our other members who grow this plant will probably drop by soon. :)

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26739
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

My youngest Desert Rose did the same thing on one of it's leaves when I moved it. But it's looking really good now. We have a short hallway between the part of the building we live in and the heated shop, we use to rent out for heated storage for cars/trucks etc. In that hallway it stays really nice and toasty warm, my biggest problem was my plants getting cold in the front. So since the small one is doing so well in there, I moved the bigger Desert Rose in there. It actually has a bunch of leaves on it. Must like it in their because no leaves have dropped. I'm Hoping to get it to flower, someday??? This just might be the spot for that. I would think that brown spot is just from moving it. Just don't over water them. They really don't like it. Good Luck with it. :)

barnercora

Re: Desert Rose Question

RoInferno wrote:hi everyone, my 2 y/o desert rose plant is having some problems with its leaves. the end of the leaves are turning brown and dying off... but only on some. iv attached a picture. does anyone know what is going on, and what i can do to fix it?

[img]https://h1.ripway.com/HoJO12/IMG_0328.JPG[/img]

Do you have room in your laundry room? put it there. During winter don't water it at all. I know it sounds bad but that' s what i do on mine and all survive. Their caudex store water so they could withstand without water for couple months. Root rot is your biggest concern during winter. If you have to water it do so but small amount. I let mine so dry that there is gap in between pot and dirt. Also do not put it close by the window, cold draft coming from it destroy most of them, they turn soft, limpy and before you know it is a goner.

Hope this help.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well my desert rose plants really like where they are! They just must have been too cold. As the youngest plant, has grown a bunch of new leaves on it, plus you can see it's slowly getting taller. The bigger one I moved out into the hall is really happy, no dropped leaves, and the leaves are looking much tougher. They looked so tender before. I bought some seeds, so I think I am going to experiment soon and try growing the seeds out there too. They sure really need that heat!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”