CluelessGardener
Newly Registered

I never know the names of flowers!

So, my husband and I bought our house about a year ago, and I now have space for flowers and a garden! Now, my only problem is that I'll see a plant or flower in someone's yard (or even my own) and I have no clue what they are called :? Is there a good place to look up the names of flowers by description, or flower color or something?

For example, I put down a wildflower mix on the side of the house. These really tall (3-4ft) flowers started growing mid-summer and now they have delicate light purple colored flowers. They have thick stalks with lots of thin "leaves" all the way up and then thin stems up to the flowers. I can't seem to figure out what they are! How can I go about looking it up? Maybe someone here knows?

Help! lol, this is like learning another language! :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! If you'd like to post a picture of the plant, I'm sure many of our members would be happy to help you identify it. :)

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

lorax
Greener Thumb

Welcome! From your description, you might have Cosmos growing there.

Perhaps the best place to ID flowers when you're completely clueless is a forum like this one - one of us is sure to recognize what they are. And Kisal is completely right - a photo speaks volumes.

CluelessGardener
Newly Registered

wow! you are good! I just looked up what Cosmos look like, and you are right. Thanks. :D That's probably something pretty common...shows you how much I have to learn. lol I look forward to exploring the rest of the forum

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”