GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Hill Country/Central TX advice please

I own a mobile/manufactured/trailer money pit. The skirting is going to be redone in metal from Muellers, Inc., hopefully within the next month.

Hopefully this pic will post.

[img]https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/chipperknitter/003-2.jpg[/img]

I know nasty!

I had planned on back filling, but that will be big bucks, so no deal.

That gaping hole height is over 5'. I would like to find something, relatively easy to grow and tall with some color. My first choice would be Buddelias. I love the dark purple. (Black Knight?) They also attract beneficial insects. I just don't know how tall they grow. Cenizo would be alright.

I have the black soil and Johnson Grass loves the spot. It gets East and ENE sun.

My goal is the house will have more curb appeal.

Color choices are somewhat important. I'm wanting the spring color to complement my wild flowers. Good years, I have tons of prairie verbena and bluebonnets.

Winter stuff, I'm going to try Hellebores. I'll have the shade and hopefully the water they need. They did extremely well at house I rented years ago and the deer didn't eat them. I'll also experiment with Daff's, Iris's and Alliums again.

Summer color is making me crazy. I love the color of our summer flowers, red, yellow and orange. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea of how to make those colors look pretty with the other stuff.

I'm not planning on doing this all at once. Needing ideas so it looks like I had a plan.

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Marlingardener wrote:MaryAnn,
Have you considered lantanas? The lantana cameras are of the height you want, and come in several colors (I'd mix the colors personally, but that's a matter of taste). They attract butterflies, are very hardy, and have a long bloom period. You could mix in some dwarf hollies for winter greenery and interest.
Cenizo is about the same color as your house--might not show up very well, and it is prone to powdery mildew.
Are you suggesting those for the summer stuff?

I had no idea the Cenizo was prone to junk.

Lantanas are on my list, but the last thing I want to do.

I hate lantanas. I moved here from SW Florida, nasty weeds that everyone can grow.

I will grow them if they don't come in red/yellow/orange.

I want my home for about 3 months, to look like it's cool in temperature. It's all I can ask in TX.

Return to “Landscaping”