schsec

flowering

I'm so frustrated with my nikko blue's ....
I have several of them ... at home and the cottage and they just do not want to bloom this year.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. any ideas?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Schsec,

I'm thinking that since you are in zone 5, it might be possible that a late freeze or cold winter temps damaged this years buds. Nikko Blue blooms on old wood.

Newt

schsec

maybe you are on to something.

I do have a couple of blooms near the bottom of the bushes now. but not on the tops. that's where the frost would have gotten them.

guess there's nothing I can do about that here in michigan.

if anyone has any other suggestions on fertilizers to use or other ideas please feel free to toss them my way!

thanks a bunch
:lol:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Cover them for the winter with leaves and/or plant against the foundation of a house for some winter protection in zone 5. Keep in mind that there might be late frosts. If you have uncovered them and a late frost is expected you can cover them with an old sheet. Don't use plastic as your plants can get cooked when the sun comes up if you forget to remove the plastic.

Newt

schsec

thank you so much.

bunches of blessings to ya

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome!

Newt

treandy
Newly Registered

I too am having problems with one of my hydrangea plants. It only had one bloom this year. Last year it was full of huge whitish pink blooms all summer. It is about 5 years old. I have never really pruned it back. The only thing I can think of is that it is close to the dryer vent and is warm year round. Does anyone else think that could be a problem?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Treandy,

You don't say where you live, if there's been a drought or which hydrangea you have so it would be difficult to say. Not sure the dryer vent could be the problem if it wasn't before this year.

Newt

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”