tlotworld2
Newly Registered

Watering questions.

Hello.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere a guide to know how much water any plant need? It could be really helpful.

In addition , I am trying to use water from air-conditioners for my garden.
Is there any problem with this ?
I'm trying to use slow release fertilizer .
I'm afraid to use too much from it , or to get there too much water.

Thank you very much !

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The amount of water a plant needs will vary greatly with the growing conditions. Higher temperatures will cause greater transpiration from the leaves. Heavy clay soils hold water longer than sandy soils. A plant growing in the sun will need more water than one growing in the shade. Some plants, such as those that grow in bogs, like to grow in wet conditions; while others, such as succulents, have evolved to store water in their tissues. Plants use far less water during their dormant period, than they do while actively growning.

I don't think it's possible to devise a one-size-fits-all recommendation for how much water to give a plant.

The only concern I would have about water from an a/c would be the chemicals that technicians use to clean the units. Well, there's also the matter of the mold, algae and bacteria that can grow in the water while it's sitting stagnant the the collection pan.

Slow release fertilizer is fine. Being slow release, of course, you don't have to use it very often. Why not just use compost or worm castings to amend your soil? Just a suggestion. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

tlotworld2
Newly Registered

Hello ,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I understand that watering is based on the circumstances , but in my case , my A/C is producing approximately 0.5 gallon per hour , and it is connected directly to my plants with drip irrigation so I can't really control the amount of water .
(So I don't have sitting water in a collection pan. The problem is , if the A/C is turned on for example something like 12 hours per day , it is a lot of water. )

I just want to have a general idea on the amount of watering for different plants , and I'll try to customize it after learning my growing conditions.
Is there any web/book to find something like that?

I prefer using slow release fertilizer , because I am using them inside the drip system , and then I can concentrate them in one specific place.

Thanks again !

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm sure our members will attempt to answer your questions, but it would probably help to know what kind of plants (tomatoes are going to need much more water than cacti, for instance), what kind of soil they're in (if any), what kind of sunlight or artificial lighting they get, etc.

It almost sounds like you're using hydroponic methods. If so, we have a forum devoted to that type of gardening. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I admire you working to recycle the A/C water. But I would have some concerns about the water going directly to plants, just because of the quantity of water. You didn't say anything about where you are located. If you are in a hot humid climate like mine, A/C's will put out gallons of water daily. Unless you have a lot of very big plants, you will be drowning them. The direct to plants system doesn't give you any way to control how much water the plants are getting. And more comes every day, even if they are still wet from the previous day. Most plants like to dry out a bit between waterings.

Running the water to some kind of collection point would give you more control over what goes to your plants.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”