deaz
Newly Registered

Getting started

First wanted to say thanks to this forum, I've done alot of reading, and found lots of great information.

I've been interested in the art of bonsai for years and finally found myself both mature enough and with enough free time to actually try. I live in Southern Arizona and out extreme heat makes it difficult to have outdoor plants of any kind so I've limited myself to indoor tropical and succulents.

Here's a pic of my current setup:

[url=https://img827.imageshack.us/i/bonsai.jpg/][img]https://a.imageshack.us/img827/3100/bonsai.jpg[/img][/url]

I started with a Ficus benjamina (top center), decided to play around with the billions of mesquite pods lying around outside my house so I planted a few and watched them take off, currently about a month old and starting to branch (bottom right), and most recently (last week) added 3 new additions rescued a Ficus ginseng from Lowes ($12), some very young baby jade ($2) and what was identified (research I've done it appears to have been correctly labeled) as rainbow elephant bush ($1.50). All were in desperate need of new pots despite the additional stress it may have caused.

All appear to be thriving, we'll see how they do.

Anyway, hi, and thanks to the forum for all the good info. I apologize if the pic isn't great, it came off my phone.

TomM
Greener Thumb

DEAZ, OK, I'll be the first to welcome you to the forum. Glad you found your way here, and so happy that you have taken your interest in bonsai to the next level.

Your photo is very nice, and your set-up is quite good. Interesting starter plants/trees. Nice assortment. Read all you can about the different species and if your new hobby grows you might want to get in touch with the local bonsai club and find a new world of friends who share your curiosity and passion.

Stick around - I'm sure you will hear from others. Best of luck.

deaz
Newly Registered

Thanks Tom.

I realize I've jumped right in, but sometimes its the only way to learn. Last weeks acquisitions were spur of the moment, and really had no intention of having my collection grow so fast.

I have been doing as much reading as I can find on each of the species and bonsai in general. I think I've got a good grasp on things so far.

Current plan is to let everything sit and grow for a year or so while I plan the direction I want them all to go.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”