wesdbenson
Newly Registered

Liriope vs. Mexican Heather vs. Moss Rose

When it comes to choosing a planting scheme, I'm a throw-it-in-the-pot-and-hope-for-the-best kind of guy. The biggest attraction in my yard is underneath a large bonsai tree. I've set a brick border around its perimeter, and within the border I've planted liriope, mexican heather, and moss rose.

I've talked with a couple of colleagues about the nature of both liriope and mexican heather. Most agree that liriope spreads like wildfire over the yard while also spreading its' roots out underground. Concerning the latter, I've heard the same thing said about mexican heather.

I feel like my moss roses are going to get lost in the olla. They are tiny flowers compared to their current roommates and I'm pretty sure they aren't taking to the shade underneath the bonsai. Furthermore, I'm concerned that the liriope and heather are engaged in a silent battle for real estate. Have I erred in my plant selection? If so, what - if any - plant(s) compliment liriope and/or mexican heather?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Being in SC, depends where, portulaca is probably an annual as well as Mexican heather, so yes the Liriope will certainly fill in the area within 2-3 years since it grows underground where heather branches out by top growth.

wesdbenson
Newly Registered

I've read elsewhere that Mexican heather and portulaca grow as an annuals here in SC. The Mexican heather is more likely to come back if you cut it to the ground.

wesdbenson
Newly Registered

Hello,

A new planting season has started, and I have to say it was a pleasant surprise to see my mexican heather coming back after this crazy winter in South Carolina! As an added bonus the begonias I planted last year that I thought were annuals have actually begun to populate the area that I planted them in! Gotta love the spring!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

So you had a fluke winter. I had Gerber daisies come back from overwintering but they didn't last the next.

Return to “Landscaping”