Not a problem! I studied them simply because I wanted to know which ones were edible and which were not. The fact that a mushroom is not edible is normally because they simply taste lousy. Many are not edible because they will induce vomiting quickly. A few like the death cap (Amanita phalloides, native to the west coast and the north eastern United States) and the Destroying Angel (Amanita virosa, also native to the west coast) are truly deadly. No anti toxins exist for them and they destroy the liver. The only "cure" is a liver transplant.
A large number of the Amanita genus are also psychotropic or hallucinogenic in the same way LSD is. Many of those have laws preventing their possession, possession of their spores for home cultivation, and many other restrictions. There have been instances of people literally overdosing and dieing from their ingestion.
The best thing to do is if you don't know what it is, leave it alone. When I first became interested in mushrooms, very few resources existed on the internet. Today, the information on the internet is great and easily available. Many sites provide simple identification techniques which can be printed.
My favorites have always been the Chanterelle, Oyster, and Morel mushrooms. It would be simple for folks to learn how to identify those in the field and leave all others alone. Especially avoid those that resemble the mushrooms available in the grocery store. The three I mentioned don't resemble any of the truly poisonous varieties.
I simply enjoy gardening!