Nylons aren't holding that badboy EG
I grew my first garden this year and become addicted to gardening. I really like trellis's, but one goal for next year is a giant watermelon. This will be grown on the ground for sure. I'd be more than happy to reach 50 pounds in my growing season here. With this said, I have a lot of questions if you don't mind.
1. Started from seed or storebought plant? I assume seed, so if so did you start inside or in the ground? (I have to start inside here in Michigan for a big melon)
2. How long from first sprouting til transplanting and how long were the vines when transplanted? (if started inside)
3. Your hills..... How many plants per hill?
4. Did you put manure in the hole in the hill and plant in that?
5. Did you let the plant go and grow as many melons as it wanted to or did you take some off to grow this one?
Sorry this is so many questions.
6. What did you do? Great compost? Compost plus manure in the hole? Fertilizer? Just want firsthand knowledge as I've been researching growing a giant watermelon and have read different points of view.
7. How long did the vines on this plant get?