msgenie516
Newly Registered

Is there a best time of day to pick tomatoes?

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a best time of day to pick tomatoes to get better or sweeter flavor? Thanks for your help! :D Genie

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If you are going to eat them that day I have generally found that hot tomatoes picked in the afternoon have less flavor than cooler morning picked fruit. I usually pick mine several days before they are ripe so it doesn't matter what time of day I pick.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Veggies that are picked in the morning have alot more sugar content - therefore will taste better.

EG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvest every thing in the garden early in the morning when the sun is low before it gets hot outside.

Then I spend the day inside the house canning tomatoes, bean, in mason jars. It is 9:45 am I just finished canning 9 pints of tomatoes.

Corn gets boiled within 5 minutes of picking to stop the sugar from turning to starch.
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Afternoons get miserably hot here. Hot tomatoes taste cooked to me. Way more bland than morning tomatoes.
"The conspicuous consumption of limited resources has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners." ~Barbara Kingsolver

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=533347321

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I don't have the list but I believe most veggies are best picked early morning after the dew is off (too prevent spreading disease). But than I have heard that (maybe) peas and beans or maybe one or the other are better picked later. Though I honestly can't remember why. Maybe someone can chime in.

I have actually wanted to get a list together of what does better when.

Other than that I do most of it in the morning when I can other wise I do it in the afternoon after it has cooled down a bit. I work all day and I get up way too early to be picking things in the morning, it's usually still dark when I leave or the sun is just rising. :(

msgenie516
Newly Registered

Hi again!

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm home almost all the time so I think I will try to pick mid to late morning. I sometimes go out very early (like 7:00 AM) to tend to the garden but from what everyone is saying, that may be too early to pick tomatoes. I certainly don't want to encourage diseases. Thanks again! :D Genie

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”