Early in the spring, I removed the bottom from a forty five gallon plastic trash can and replaced it with metal screen with 1" mesh. I drilled a lot of 1/2" holes in the sides of the trash can to allow oxygen to enter the can. I built a stand for the can to set on with a container under the can. I've been adding lots of both green and brown organics to the can for quite a while. Since most of the green organics are fresh, they have a lot of moisture in them. Sitting in the sun, with the lid on; the inside temps of the can probably reach 130 degrees f. Most of the material dropping from the trash can into the container is very wet. Much of the decomposition within the can is accomplished by grubs and maggots of unknown insects. The first container filled yesterday and I removed it in order for it to dry out. The material in the container had the consistency of road tar but is drying into a hard brown substance quickly.
I'm pretty sure the product will have a lot of nutritional value for plants, but I am concerned the process I described may have also produced some chemicals or anaerobic bacteria which may be harmful. I will allow the material to continue drying until next spring in the hope that potential bacterial toxins will have dissipated.
Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.