PolygonWindow
Newly Registered

Lemon Tree - Is it dying??

Hi all,

first the situation: I'm living at the moment in Barcelona/Spain. I am renting a flat that has a lovely small graden in the city. In the Garden there is as well an about 2 meters high lemon tree. I know the landlady who rents me the flat is very fond of the tree and since she's living after me in the flat and garden again I try to be very careful with the garden and especially the Lemon Tree.

My problem: When I got into the flat in march the lemon tree was well up with a lot of fresh, dark-green leaves and a lot of fresh lemons.

Now, mid-july, the lemon-tree looks quite different. He has a lot less leaves and they look much brighter in green. They're a bit brownish, but thats because they're dusty. Still there are new Leaves growing on top but overall the lemon tree heas much less leaves. see pictures..

Of course the lemons from march are gone now, we ate them all, but there are new smalls ones coming. but some (only 3-4) of the very small fell off.

I water the tree every 2-3 Days in the evening and water with really a lot of water.

Now I'm really frightened that Lemon tree is not doing well. The thing I don't know is, I mean it's summer here and we have really high temperetures, everyday between 34-38 degrees, no rain since 4 weeks, if it is just normal that a lemon tree reduces it's leaves count in hot summer time or if I really have to be careful that the tree is not dying. Should I water it every day? should I water more? Should I do sth. else?

here are two pics of beginning of march and now:

[img]https://www.gruenflaeche.ch/tmp/TreeBefore.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.gruenflaeche.ch/tmp/TreeAfter.jpg[/img]

any help would be very appreciated.

Christian

peachguy

I am thinking that you are watering it too much because sitrus trees can't handle a lot of water all the time. Also you may be watering it just fine the drainage is bad does the soil were it is planted drain well? This comes from what I know but try asking on this forum it is great and they know a all more about citruses.

www.citrus.forumup.org

PolygonWindow
Newly Registered

hi peachguy,

thanks a lot for the answer. I think the soil is draining well, as far as I know the soil is like 'open' to the the bottom, just open ground. you think watering the tree all 2-3 days is too much? it's really terribly hot and dry at the moment...

I'll the the forum you sent me as well.

thanks a lot.

peachguy

I was thinking that it was getting too much water but now that you say it seems to drain well. mm I am not sure now like it said try the other forum they have people with citruses inground I only grow them in containers.

PolygonWindow
Newly Registered

hey peachguy,

thanks again.. the people on the other forum are very helpful as well.. but we still didn't figure out what's wrong with the tree. :(

as far as I see I think the water drains well but actually I don't know exactly what the ground underneath the tree is like.. but I think it's just 'open' ground and the water drains very fast..

so generally it's better to give lemon trees not too much water? they like it better if they get not too much water?

peachguy

Well you have to gudge I would say stick your finger into the ground and if the top couple of inches are dry I would water a little bit. Also it really depends one how hot and humid it is certain days. Really if you want to leave out all of the guessing work you can buy a moisture meter which measures moisture content in the soil. So you can just stick it in various spots around the tree I find that my citrus trees like a fairly moist soil.

hopes it helps :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”