Ruth52

Bells of Ireland in bouquets?

I planted Bell of Ire. for the first time this year...I just love the way they look in a boquet. When I have something new...I always cut and try in my house to make sure they are going to hold....have tried twice..each time they last for about 2 days...then turn into a totally limp mess! I pick all the leaves off...the little white flowers are just starting to open in the middle...what am I doing wrong???

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I believe the flowers ... all of them, not just Bells of Ireland ... that are used in commercial bouquets are treated to prolong their fresh look. I know of at least one spray used to make flowers last longer. It's called Aquafresh, but I have no idea what's in it or where to go to buy it. Distributors of florists' supplies, I suppose. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Normally most perennials & bulbs don't last long in water because you are taking them away from their home. Yes there are some used for cut flowers but most are not.

mypetalpress

bells of ireland

I would try cutting them and plunging them in water right away and cut them when the flowers are fully open, more mature. I used to grow them more for drying but some cut flowers need to be put in water as you cut them. Cheryl
"Flowers are a Gift, Plant Some" www.mypetalpress.com

Ruth52

I always cut directly into water...early morning...and have since tried more mature flowers. Same result. I use "The Flower Farmer" (Lynn Byczynski) book as a guide for most of my cut flowers. It just says cut into water...they have a vase life of 7-10 days. Someone suggested searing the stem...so I tried that yesterday....we'll see if that helps. Thanks for all the input.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”