busybee1981
Newly Registered

desperate to find the name of this rose...

I want to plant a rose bush in memory of my father. I saw it on the chelsea flower show and it was called 'father' or 'daughter' something. I think it was a peachy pink colour.

Please can anyon ehelp me?

Thanks

busybee1981
Newly Registered

anyone??

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Let me do a little research for you and get back to you - nothing comes to me right off - there are thousands of roses out there. Don't worry, we will find it. :wink:
Val

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Busybee! I have searched all of my resources for roses, and have only come up with three roses that meet your criteria. Not knowing what type of rose it was, or anything more about it, it will difficult to search much further. I reviewed the site on the 2006 Chelsea Flower Show and did not find reference to anything resembling what you describe. Here are the three I have found:
- "AUSfather" - a shrub rose also known as "Charles Austin" (father of rose breeder David Austin). It was bred in 1973 in the UK. It is an apricot blend, with strong fruity fragrance, and flowers that are up to four inches with 70 petals. It can grow to a height of 5-10 feet, and a width of 4-6 feet.

- "Our Daughter" - a floribunda patio rose bred in 2001 in the UK by breeder W.E. Bossum. It is a medium pink, with small fragrant blooms with 41 petals. It can grow to a height of 2 feet.

- "Father David's Rose" - a species rose also known as "rosa Davidii", discovered in 1908. It has small light pink flowers and can grow up to six fee tall and twelve feet around.

If you can remember what part of the Chelsea Flower Show you saw it in, or any other details, I would be able to look further.
If you are not able to find the right one, may I suggest seeing if there is a rose with your father's name? There are also several roses with names like "In Memory", etc.
Let me know what you think, and we can look further. Not to worry, we will find something. I know how it is to want to plant something in someone's memory. I planted an entire rose garden in memory of my grandfather (he was a rosarian and taught me much of what I know). I know there are others on the forum who have done similar.
Hope to hear back from you. :wink:

Val

busybee1981
Newly Registered

thank you

I'm sorry for not replying sooner. my baby has been poorly.

I'm really stuck with the name of this rose. maybe I have got it totally wrong anyway! my dads name was kevin. I will probably get the 'in memory' one anyway but try and find a few more to go with it,

Thanks for your help. It means a lot to me

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Busybee! I am sorry your baby is ill - hope it is better.
I was unable to find a rose that contained the name Kevin, but did find a couple containing some form of Memory.
- Loving Memory - hybrid tea, bred in Germany, 1981. Flowers are medium red with a mild fragrance and 40 petals and 5"across. There are 105 roses in it's bloodline.
- Memoriam - hybrid tea, bred in US, 1962. Pale pink flowers 5.9" across with strong, sweet fragrance. There are 65 roses in it's bloodline.
- HORMemoriam - Hybrid tea bred in the UK in 2002. It is a pink blend with 25 petals and a mild fragrance. It has 158 roses in its bloodline.

If would like to tell me you father's last name, or middle name, I could look for those as well.
Also, if you would like to look into having a rose named especially for him, I can suggest this website:
www.hortico.com/custom/custom_naming.htm

I hope one of these helps. Let me know how it ends up, or if I can be of further help. Good Luck! :wink:

Val

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Busybee! In my wanderings, I came across another couple of roses that you may consider for your memory rose.
- "Remember Me" - Hybrid Tea, smoky bronze in color, bred in Scotland in 1984. It has a mild fruity fragrance, and the bloom has 20 petals.
- "Remembrance" - Floribunda, Orangy Red, very light fragrance, bred by Harkness in 1992.

Let me know if you are having any luck finding a rose that suits. I'm a little curious to see what you end up with! :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”