Cerbiesmom
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Tx

Potato leaves turning brown, what's wrong?

I was checking out my potato plants yesterday, and the tops of the plants were turning brown and looked kind of shriveled. I cut them off and threw them away, I didnt' want it to spread. Any idea what this could be? I also thought it might just be the heat, i am in houston. It's been in the 90's for a while now. Any advice/suggestions are welcomed.

rkunsaw
Senior Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 am
Location: Clarksville,Arkansas

They are probably "dying back" meaning the potatoes are through growing.After they all die back leave them in the ground about two weeks then dig them.I dug mine a bit early because I'm going on vacation,but they were mostly full size.Hope you have a good harvest. :)
Larry
I started with nothing and still have most of it!!!

Cerbiesmom
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Tx

Is it weird that they didn't flower first? I thougth they flowered, then died back? Confusing vegetables.

rkunsaw
Senior Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 am
Location: Clarksville,Arkansas

My mistake...I assumed they had flowered.You might feel around under a plant and see if there are any potatoes.If they are turning brown and haven't flowered then I don't know what the problem is.
I started with nothing and still have most of it!!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 6113
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:43 pm

What variety and when did you plant them.

User avatar
gixxerific
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 5889
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: Wentzville, MO (Just West oF St. Louis) Zone 5B

the mysterious potato flower. Last year was my first with potatoes and I saw very few flowers. Some plants had no flowers. But I did pretty well with them.

Cerbiesmom
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Tx

DoubleDogFarm wrote:What variety and when did you plant them.
These were 2 russet type potatoes my friend gave me bc they sprouted in her pantry. I planted them in March. The plants are huge, about 4' above the 20" or so of soil I've hilled up around them.

Cerbiesmom
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Tx

gixxerific wrote:the mysterious potato flower. Last year was my first with potatoes and I saw very few flowers. Some plants had no flowers. But I did pretty well with them.
Allright, so there's hope! I love potatoes, and I'm so excited about growing my own. And I'm currently not having the problem with my adirondak blues that I have in another bed.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 6113
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm thinking it's heat related also. Your forcast is 90's the rest of the week. :shock: Keep them watered and mulched.

bonsai-connor
Full Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm
Location: Conifer, CO

if it is getting enough water, it could be a potato blight, take a leaf to your local nursery. they should know.

Cerbiesmom
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Tx

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'm thinking it's heat related also. Your forcast is 90's the rest of the week. :shock: Keep them watered and mulched.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that, since my other blue potato gets some shade from my maple, it isn't turning brown. Stupid texas weather. All hot and muggy. I've been watering a ton, but I guess I'll water more. It is a raised bed, so I'm not concerned about overwatering, really. Thanks a bunch.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm
Location: El Cerrito, CA

If you think about the cultures where potatoes have been a staple, they're mostly cool-weather climates. Not many 100-degree regions have relied on potatoes as a staple.

India, for instance, has traditionally relied on rice + legumes. Although they were introduced to potatoes within the last couple of centuries, even the creative Indian agriculturalists cannot coax potatoes out of a broiled earth.

Even tomatoes have their limit w/regard to heat tolerance.

It's not necessarily a disease process when plants stop growing or give out distress signals. They may just be saying ¡Ya basta! (Enough already!)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Cerbiesmom
Senior Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Sugar Land, Tx

cynthia_h wrote:If you think about the cultures where potatoes have been a staple, they're mostly cool-weather climates. Not many 100-degree regions have relied on potatoes as a staple.

India, for instance, has traditionally relied on rice + legumes. Although they were introduced to potatoes within the last couple of centuries, even the creative Indian agriculturalists cannot coax potatoes out of a broiled earth.

Even tomatoes have their limit w/regard to heat tolerance.

It's not necessarily a disease process when plants stop growing or give out distress signals. They may just be saying ¡Ya basta! (Enough already!)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
First go-around for me gardening. I am writing down what and when I plant, so that next time I can fix any problems. Potatoes next year-earlier than March. All these mistakes mean I'm learning a lot, lol.



Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”