David Hedges
Newly Registered

Hydrangia blossom problem

Our hydrangias have been blossoming beautifully until a few days ago when the flower pedal edges began to turn brown. The leaves look very healthy. This condition seems to be increasing. Is this a soil deficency? A disease? Am I over watering ... under watering (20 min drip line every 2-3 days)? What can I do to correct this problem?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, David. It could be lack of water and, in some cases, it may be too much sun/wind causing them to dry out. I have a MEM whose white blooms are suffering because it lost some of the shade protection. I am not sure how much water you are giving them (20 minutes using drip) as the amount of water is a function of the water pressure when you have drip but as an example... my drip irrigation runs for one hour to provide 1 gallon of water to the hydrangeas each time I water.

When the shrub does not get enough water, it aborts flower buds first (if there are any) and then flowers and finally the leaves. Blooms brown out probably as you are seeing. Leaves brown out from the edges inwards.

Just make sure we are not talking about the natural change of color that hydrangea blooms go through as their blooms mature. Some blooms turn a sandy/pale yellow/light brown color in June-July-August.

David Hedges
Newly Registered

Luis_pr

Thanks for the info. I measured the drip qty this morning and get pretty close to a gal in 20 min. I have increased the drip time to 30 min and I added another dripper on an extension to insure that there is water closer and on each side of the plant.

I'll see if that helps.

Again, thanks.

GeorgiaGirl

This just happened to my hydrangeas recently, but it's because we had several extremely hot, dry days and I was unable to water them until it was too late... all the blooms had begun their death and have now dried and fallen off (I deadheaded the ones that would have fallen off anyway).

The leaves are all still healthy but I don't see any more buds. It's an Endless Summer. Have I destroyed its chances for any more blooms this year or will I just have to wait until next year?

Good luck with yours, David (sorry to piggy-back on your thread)!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

No, you still have a chance of one or two more blooming episodes depending on how long this growing season turns out to be. But not "now" though. Most shrubs go into a summer hiatus. They will bloom when the temps cool down. And maybe once more if temps and weather cooperate but most years I would count on more blooms once more. Deadhead the old dried out blooms to encourage more when the temps go down.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”