lisapoe
Newly Registered

Will this layout work?

Hello all! I'm new to the gardening thing and am super late gettng one planted. I was wondering if this layout would work? Do I need to switch anything around? Thanks!

sugar snap peas (SSP)
tomatoes (T)
potatoes (P)
bush summer squash (SS)
bush beans (BB)
cucumbers (C)
acorn squash (AC)
beets (B)
dill (D)

SSP SSP SSP SSP SSP SSP

T T T T T T T T T T T T

P P P P P P P P P P P P P P P P

SS SS SS SS SS SS

BB BB BB BB BB BB BB BB
BB BB BB BB BB BB BB BB

C C C C C C C C

AC AC AC AC AC AC

BBBBBBBBB BBBBBBBB

DDDDDDDD DDDDDDDD

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Don't know why it wouldn't work! It would help if you would at least put your zone location in your profile. :D

nes
Green Thumb

I would move the cucumber and acorn squash farther apart, since they are both vining & you don't want them to get intertwined (I speak from personal experience, it works but it's annoying! especially since the squash vines are prickly).

You don't need that much dill. Trust me. One plant is PLENTY & I really like dill :). I have 5 plants because I have the room & I'm hopping to feed some swallowtail caterpillars again this year.

You don't have any carrots :( You need carrots! :)

I would also look into potato towers (search the forum) if you're limited for space.
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

lisapoe
Newly Registered

Sorry, I'm in north central Nebraska. As for the dill, I have a packet, so don't plant all of it? I'm planting it for canning pickles (another first) and have know idea how much I'll need. Thanks for the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

North central Nebraska probably means your season is behind mine. But the thing that will be most affected by the late start is the peas. They are a cool weather crop that really doesn't like it when it gets hot. You might want to save them and plant them late in the season for a fall crop.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dill will come back year after year. I planted it once 30 years ago I don't recall if it re-seeds it self or it is a perennial. After several years I had to kill the dill to get rid of it.

Plant tall plants on one side of the garden so it will not shade shorter plants.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Good point, there, Gary.

You also want to make sure that the sun can reach all plants and some don't get too shaded. This can easily be done by having the rows run N-S so that the sun will shine down all rows at its peak. If you can't do it that way, but only can go E-W, just make sure that the tallest plants are in the back.

Now, if you are planting a cold-preferring crop, like peas, lettuce, spinach, you may actually want to shade them behind another plant so as to keep them a little cooler in the summer, though I'm not all too sure how well that works.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

nes
Green Thumb

Dill self seeds.

It will shade other plants, but not completely.
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”