bethhedberg
Newly Registered

clematis leaf spot or wilt???

My 3 year old clematis has suddenly developed yellowing leaves with brown spots. It was not cut down at all last fall and is already blooming and spreading. It is shaded by 3 foot high knockout roses. After some research I realize it needs better air circulation and possibly some copper fingicide? Should I cut the whole vine down to about a foot from the ground? The infected leaves are in the center of the vine, starting from the stem, possibly. I think it is a Jackmanii but am not 100% sure. Also, how do I prevent it from spreading to my roses?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've had a lot of trouble with clematis getting clematis wilt. But if it is that, you will know it. All the leaves rapidly wilt like this, going from healthy to dead in a few days:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/clematis-wilt/main.jpg

If you have that, best thing to do is cut any affected stems off at ground level and dispose of them (NOT in compost pile).

If your leaves are just yellowing/ spotted, but not wilting, it is something else, maybe some other kind of fungus.

Cut off all the affected leaves and then spray everything, including the roses with a baking soda solution, tablespoon of baking soda to a gallon of water.

Let us know how it works!

Return to “Perennials”