Fenry
Newly Registered

Wilting Herbs

I have been having troubles in recent weeks with several herbs failing. This has happened with Sage and Rosemary, where parts of them have just faded and then died. The Rosemary turned brown and the Sage wilted. There are no signs of bugs, and there is adequate rain and moisture. There are also no splotches on the leaves of the sage like you'd have with a fungus or other type of disease. This is the second time for the Sage to have this problem and the first for the Rosemary.

Anybody have any ideas?

decam0

Most herbs are from the Mediterranean and prefer well drained gritty soil and sunny spots. Do you think maybe you're overwatering?

Fenry
Newly Registered

The only problem I have with the possiblility of overwatering is why aren't adjacent plants having any problems? Also we have been having massive problems since the first of May with a lack of rain. I put the sprinklers on once a week for about 2 hours. The sun has been very hot and we are hitting 90 F, 33 degrees C every day.

I finally saw something in a book that mentions the possibility of fusarium (sp) wilt. Anybody know anything about this?

EcoVogue
Newly Registered

My sage is doing something similar. Although I chalked it up to it being in a pot and water draining off to easily. It's been 90+ for a good bit here and I was just thinking they were getting wilty due to heat. So I've been giving them less water more frequently... like instead of a good soaking once a week watering several times a week. They seem to come back okay. Some stems didn't come back but several are looking a lot better.

I'm really young at the gardening thing so I could totally be wrong, and I'd love to find out what others have to say about this 'cause I'd hate to loose my sage plant.

Fenry
Newly Registered

EcoVogue, I was searching the web today and found the answer:
Fusarium wilt can survive for years in the soil and is spread by water, insects and garden equipment. It develops during hot weather and is most destructive when soil temperatures approach 80 degrees F. Dry weather and low soil moisture encourage this plant disease.
I found elsewhere that sage is one of the vulnerable to this fungus.

Also, I know exactly what kind of weather you are having because I live in the NW suburbs of Atlanta.

EcoVogue
Newly Registered

Thanks Fenry for the info and the link. and it's nice to meet a local :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”