redstripe
Newly Registered

Beetle identification please

Hello,
I see that someone else asked about identifying beetles in the garden, but I do not think these are the same type.
Can any of you identify these, so I know if they are beneficial, or if I should grab some insect killer right now?

[img]https://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac147/posttoboard/IMG_8913.jpg[/img]

sciencegal

I think what you have there is a weevil, which is in the same order as beetles. I couldn't find the exact sort, but I think it is some type of leaf roller weevil. There aren't any good weevils. They all damage plants. You can usually tell that it is a weevil because most have long snouts.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think I've found some information about them for you. They are nymphs of the Florida Predatory Stink Bug, Euthyrhynchus floridanus, also called the Pleasant Stink Bug. They are predators, so they are beneficial. Good to have in your garden. :)

You can read about them [url=https://bugguide.net/node/view/223875/bgimage]here[/url].

sciencegal

Yes, you're right! I was looking at bug guide but it's hard to find things there unless you know what you're looking for. I thought I could see a long snout in the photo which was making me think weevil.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

This post is off topic! ;)

I agree, sciencegal! Bug Guide is a wonderful site for ID-ing insects and such, but it is very difficult to find what you want. You almost have to know the name of whatever you're looking for beforehand. In this case, I lucked out and found a picture through Google Images, so was able to find the information on Bug Guide with relative ease. IMO, it was pure luck, though! :lol:

redstripe
Newly Registered

thank you for the information. And sorry for being off topic here. in the future, where should I and others post asking for critter identification help?

sciencegal

I was just reading up on stink bugs (what a wonderful thing to do on a warm Wednesday afternoon). Apparently, most stink bugs are serious garden pests. This particular stink bug and it's nymph is one of the few that preys on other insects including other stink bugs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

redstripe wrote:thank you for the information. And sorry for being off topic here. in the future, where should I and others post asking for critter identification help?
No, no, restripe! Your post is exactly where it should be! :)

My 'off topic' comment was simply to alert readers that my post was veering away from the subject under discussion. My post was off topic because I was commenting on another website, rather than the insects in your photo.

Sorry for the confusion! :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”