new_2_gardening
Newly Registered

Looking for ALOT of cilantro this summer...Container okay?

Hubby and I make alot of cold salads and mexican dishes that call for cilantro. We probably spend $20-$30 a month alone on cilantro, so we plan to add it to our garden this year. I am running out of room in my raised beds, so could I get a decent yield by using large containers? If so, what size would be ideal. We would like at lease a bunch a week, maybe two. Would succesion seeding of it be ideal too? I am not sure if once you cut cilantro, if it keeps growing or not?

Thanks!!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I haven't done alot of container growing, this year will be a new experience for me.

But Cilantro, does need to be succession sown. I have grown it before, it is wonderful fresh, but it does very quickly all go to seed and become coriander!

I would simply make it a habit to pick one day of the week to sow new batches of it, then, if it bolts to seed on you, you are not out of luck. But, I would cut it and keep it going that way as long as it will too!

new_2_gardening
Newly Registered

Sounds good ;) I need more seeds then, haha. DO I have to pay attention to spacing at all? I wonder how many seeds I should scatter across say the top of a 2 gallon pot?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I grew them in an herb area of my garden, really thick, and they still grew great! I wouldn't be overly worried about spacing, and if you have them bolt, let the seeds drop, they will sprout and grow too, sooner or later. It wasn't even a particularly rich nor well dug area.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Last year I sprinkled about 100 seeds in a 10" circle on the ground and covered them over with compost. It took about 3 weeks for them to come up and they grew and did fine being crouded. I harvested a lot of Cilantro all summer and let them go to seed in the fall. I have planted Cilantro the same way again this year 100s of plants are coming up now.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I grow three large clumps of cilantro in a rectangular box that is approximately 10 inches by 10 inches by 30 inches. The plants grow fine and produce lots of cilantro. Last year I let my pasley and my cilantro go to seed. Am getting lots of volunteer plants from both this year. I have found that early planted cilantro goes to seed very soon, my earliest starts are already flowering, so IMO succession planting is the only way to go, to get a continuous supply of cilantro.

This year I have six clumps of cilantro in two rectangular boxes, and then have new seedlings of various sizes growing in about a dozen one gallon nursery pots. As the cilantro in the rectangular pots goes to seed, the plants will be replaced with the fresh starts. I plan to do about three different age groupings of cilantro, to ensure a good supply until frost. Last year we started saving our own seeds, and they have seemed much more viable than bought seeds.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”