new_2_gardening
Newly Registered

Looking for ALOT of cilantro this summer...Container okay?

Hubby and I make alot of cold salads and mexican dishes that call for cilantro. We probably spend $20-$30 a month alone on cilantro, so we plan to add it to our garden this year. I am running out of room in my raised beds, so could I get a decent yield by using large containers? If so, what size would be ideal. We would like at lease a bunch a week, maybe two. Would succesion seeding of it be ideal too? I am not sure if once you cut cilantro, if it keeps growing or not?

Thanks!!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I haven't done alot of container growing, this year will be a new experience for me.

But Cilantro, does need to be succession sown. I have grown it before, it is wonderful fresh, but it does very quickly all go to seed and become coriander!

I would simply make it a habit to pick one day of the week to sow new batches of it, then, if it bolts to seed on you, you are not out of luck. But, I would cut it and keep it going that way as long as it will too!
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

new_2_gardening
Newly Registered

Sounds good ;) I need more seeds then, haha. DO I have to pay attention to spacing at all? I wonder how many seeds I should scatter across say the top of a 2 gallon pot?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I grew them in an herb area of my garden, really thick, and they still grew great! I wouldn't be overly worried about spacing, and if you have them bolt, let the seeds drop, they will sprout and grow too, sooner or later. It wasn't even a particularly rich nor well dug area.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Last year I sprinkled about 100 seeds in a 10" circle on the ground and covered them over with compost. It took about 3 weeks for them to come up and they grew and did fine being crouded. I harvested a lot of Cilantro all summer and let them go to seed in the fall. I have planted Cilantro the same way again this year 100s of plants are coming up now.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I grow three large clumps of cilantro in a rectangular box that is approximately 10 inches by 10 inches by 30 inches. The plants grow fine and produce lots of cilantro. Last year I let my pasley and my cilantro go to seed. Am getting lots of volunteer plants from both this year. I have found that early planted cilantro goes to seed very soon, my earliest starts are already flowering, so IMO succession planting is the only way to go, to get a continuous supply of cilantro.

This year I have six clumps of cilantro in two rectangular boxes, and then have new seedlings of various sizes growing in about a dozen one gallon nursery pots. As the cilantro in the rectangular pots goes to seed, the plants will be replaced with the fresh starts. I plan to do about three different age groupings of cilantro, to ensure a good supply until frost. Last year we started saving our own seeds, and they have seemed much more viable than bought seeds.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”