buckbuster

starting seeds/ stunded growth

started seeds in a cup. they germinated fine, but they havent grown more than an in tall in the mounth and a half i have had them planed. any suggestions on how i can get them to take off a little before i put them out. Im thinking the cup is to big and the soil cant get the right temp????
brad

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

What kind of seeds and what kind of soil?

buckbuster

TZ -OH6 wrote:What kind of seeds and what kind of soil?
tommato
peppers
basil
parsley

Just potting soil from the bag.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Even the worst bagged potting mix generally has enough nutrients to get seedlings going beyond the point you describe. Stunting like that usually means uneven watering where dry conditions kill off root hairs necessitating that the plant regrow root hairs every time it is watered.

Another possibliity is that you are using a potting mix that has "X months of food" in it. This means time release fertilizer pellets, which begin their time release as soon as the soil is moist, which could have been months ago in the store. This could cause fertilizer burn of the roots.

Low light causes long leggy seedlings

Low temps would affect the peppers moreso than the tomatoes, and probably not affect the parsley so much.

If you have them in a windowsill and the temps get high it might set them back.

What are your growing conditions?

Temperature
Soil moisture/watering
Light source

Its really pretty tough to screw up seedlings so much so it should be possible to find out what is wrong.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, you do have drainage holes in those cups, don't you? What about lighting? Do you have any fluorescent lights over the seedlings? I can't speak for the peppers, basil, etc., but I do know that I've grown tomato seedlings with window light and man, were they small when I planted them.

Read up on some of our seed starting threads (do a forum search) and take note of the t-8 lights that some of us used on our seedlings. They can be bought very cheaply (under $20) and make a world of difference with the tomatoes and peppers.

Also, how crowded are your seedlings?
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

buckbuster

TZ -OH6 wrote:Even the worst bagged potting mix generally has enough nutrients to get seedlings going beyond the point you describe. Stunting like that usually means uneven watering where dry conditions kill off root hairs necessitating that the plant regrow root hairs every time it is watered.

Another possibliity is that you are using a potting mix that has "X months of food" in it. This means time release fertilizer pellets, which begin their time release as soon as the soil is moist, which could have been months ago in the store. This could cause fertilizer burn of the roots.

Low light causes long leggy seedlings

Low temps would affect the peppers moreso than the tomatoes, and probably not affect the parsley so much.

If you have them in a windowsill and the temps get high it might set them back.

What are your growing conditions?

Temperature
Soil moisture/watering
Light source

Its really pretty tough to screw up seedlings so much so it should be possible to find out what is wrong.
Im a coach and several times a week im out late with games, so the watering thing might be my problem, cause on those late nights i forget to water sometims and they do dry out a little.

ill have to make a better effort i guess.
brad

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”