gmcbee
Newly Registered

Growing tomatoes in only 2-3 hours of direct sun?

Hi folks!

I have a small east-facing area that only gets 2,3,4 hours of direct sun
every day. I've grown green onions, garlic and bell peppers with some
success, but the beefsteak tomatoes turn out about tennis ball size or
smaller.

Any varieties I should try? Supplements? (I grow them in 5 gallon pots
in MG potting soil)

Would Romas work? I mostly use them for sauces and Chilis.

Thanks for your input! :D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Generally, tomatoes need at least 6 hours of sun to produce well. And speaking of beefsteak varieties are usually indeterminate, and require at least 10gal pot (or larger)...

I think you are on the right path with smaller variety, and whatever you choose, I think you will be better off with a determinate type. Sure, give roma a try, see how it does, but still, I don't think it's enough light for a productive tomato (peppers a little more forgiving imo when it comes to the light issues).

Regards,
D

gmcbee
Newly Registered

Thank you, D!

As you might guess, I do a lot a "home cooking" Italian and Texas style, and
love the fresh veggies for the taste. I'll try Romas this year. Do I need 2,
3, 4 plants for the bees to do their thing? Any hints on low-sun potted herbs,
or is that for another forum?

I'll never forget the first year I grew green onions. I overseeded the pot and
they grew in thick. My 8 y.o. saw the 2 inch high plants and shouted loud
enough for the world to hear: "HEY! C'MERE! DAD'S GOT GRASS!" :roll:

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback!

SP8
Green Thumb

I’ve had a lot of success with a couple of Roma Tomato varieties in reduced light and they make for great pasta sauce.
I >>used to<< grow vegetables in containers on my balcony and this >>was<< my Blog:
VEGGIE-MIGHT

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gmcbee wrote: "HEY! C'MERE! DAD'S GOT GRASS!"
LOL Thanks for the smile!

SP8 has great experience with container gardening, so looks like Roma it is for you to try... Now - there are sooooo many varieties of Roma out there! Hopefully someone would chime in on the specific one?

As for the herbs for the shade, according to herbcompanion.com, here are some herbs they suggest that do well in the shade:

1. Sweet woodruff
2. Anise hyssop
3. Wild ginger
4. Parsley
5. Shiso
6. Lemon balm
7. Spicebush

I love to cook myself, and have been since I was a kid, and those fresh herbs and veggies do make all the difference in the world!

Good luck!

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

herbs for shade

1. Sweet woodruff
2. Anise hyssop
3. Wild ginger
4. Parsley
5. Shiso
6. Lemon balm
7. Spicebush

somewhat odd list of herbs: sweet woodruff is used to flavor May wine, but the FDA says it is not safe to be taken internally except in alcohol. The dried leaves are scented, but fresh ones are not. Wild ginger is unrelated to culinary ginger and is toxic. Has uses as antiseptic, insecticide, and herbicide, which may tell you something. I'm unfamiliar with shiso. Spicebush is a large shrub. The leaf scent is actually pungent rather than spicy. The berries apparently can be used as a seasoning, but my spicebushes unfortunately have never yet set any berries... after about five years or so.

Here's my take on culinary herbs for shade (I take it from the rest of the post that you are interested in culinary, not medicinal herbs?) :

I have an herb garden that is quite shady. Not ideal, but it's what I've got. What grows there is mint (wonderful stuff, grows anywhere, just don't plant it loose in your garden unless you want it to take over-use containers), lemon balm, oregano, thyme, comfrey, parsley, sage in the sunniest part of the not so sunny bed. Some of these are not as rampant as it would be in full sun, but adequate.

I don't grow it, but ginger root is reputed to do well in shady conditions. There's also something called culantro (that's not a typo for cilantro!). I gather it's a tropical variant of cilantro. But it is a shade plant. Here's a little article about it: https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-506.html

Re the pollination. Tomatoes are self fertile. You can grow one tomato plant and get tomatoes. They don't need bees or other pollinators, though without them, you may need to shake the plant a bit to distribute pollen.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

SP8
Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:so looks like Roma it is for you to try... Now - there are sooooo many varieties of Roma out there! Hopefully someone would chime in on the specific one?
After getting 60 tomatoes off one plant I highly recommend the ‘Reggae Roma’ variety, see: https://veggie-might-sp8.blogspot.com/search/label/REGGAE%20ROMA%20TOMATO

The only trouble is I’ve only ever come across it once when I bought my initial seedling!.........?...............>_<
I >>used to<< grow vegetables in containers on my balcony and this >>was<< my Blog:
VEGGIE-MIGHT

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

SP8 wrote: The only trouble is I’ve only ever come across it once when I bought my initial seedling!.........?...............>_<
Not sure what you are saying? are you saying that can't find the seed anymore. It looks like they have it here possibly. https://www.gardenshop.com.au/product.php?productid=16178&cat=250&bestseller=Y

SP8
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
SP8 wrote: The only trouble is I’ve only ever come across it once when I bought my initial seedling!.........?...............>_<
Not sure what you are saying? are you saying that can't find the seed anymore. It looks like they have it here possibly. https://www.gardenshop.com.au/product.php?productid=16178&cat=250&bestseller=Y
I've never seen seeds, I got mine as a potted plant and I've never seen it again around my traps, good find though! Cheers :wink:
VEGGIE-MIGHT

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”