spencersmom
Newly Registered

Garden Soil

The garden soil in the plastic bags I buy is always wet . I try to find "dry" bags, (you can tell the soil is loose inside the bag). I'd like to hear how others deal with this, and is this wet soil harmful to use for planting. It seems like it would smother your plants roots. Thanks, I'll be anxious to hear from you.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it's supposed to be wet. I've never had a problem with it. :?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Kisal wrote:I think it's supposed to be wet. I've never had a problem with it. :?
It will dry out, of course. It shouldn't harm a plant's roots. Overwatering and keeping the soil constantly wet is what harms roots.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

spencersmom
Newly Registered

Dirt

Thanks Kisal, I'll try it again. Either that or get a load of dirt delivered :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Dirt would really be bad for your container plants. It will stay wet in the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 of the container, while the upper portion becomes overly dry. The lower roots will rot and the upper ones will dehydrate. Your plant will die.

If it bothers you that the soil is "wet" straight out of the bag, you can always open the bag an let it sit for a few days to allow some of the moisture to evaporate. Give the potting mix a bit of a stir now and the with a trowel, until it reaches the moisture level you prefer.

Most potting mixes contain peat moss, which can be very difficult to moisten once it gets really dry. I think that may be why the mixes are moistened before they're packaged.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”