mgarden
Newly Registered

My Schefflera - question for someone who knows them

Hello!

I have a nice little schefflera that I'm trying to turn into a bonsai, kind of. I was inspired by those 2 threads:

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10952[/url]
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52047#52047[/url]

The plant was one 3-feet tall stem with no branches when I started. The trunk is almost one inch thick at the bottom. I cut it at about 10 inches from the ground and removed most of the leaves to make it branch. It worked, 6 buds started rapidly producing leaves so I was pretty happy with the result.

It's been about 6 weeks now and altough it might be too early to tell, I notice that most of the new branches have stopped producing new leaves, except the top one. They all seem to have stopped at 2 or 3 leaves and don't even look like branches yet. It just looks like 2-3 leaves are coming out of the same place on the trunk. I was expecting them to keep growing.

Is this what is to be expected? How do you make the branches keep growing and not only the top one? Should I just wait and they will become real branches eventually?

Thanks in advance!

djlen
Green Thumb

Keep pinching all the branches you want to develop back and it will respond as it's done so far.
They need to be pushed to branch.
Regards,
Len

"As the twig is bent, so the tree inclines"
- Virgil
"I rarely agree with most of what I say........." -
- Len
_________
How To Post A Picture

Gnome
Mod

mgarden,
It's been about 6 weeks now... the new branches have stopped producing new leaves, except the top one... and don't even look like branches yet. I was expecting them to keep growing.
It sounds to me like it just needs time to develop. You have new shoots that have just formed, give them some time to develop. Trees operate on their own time scale not one that always suits us. Patience.

Norm

mgarden
Newly Registered

Len, Norm, thanks for the answers!

I'll let the shoots grow and see what happens. I was mostly wondering whether the tree was going to go back to its habit of growing only from the top or if the new branches would all keep getting longer.

djlen
Green Thumb

They are persistent in wanting to return to their natural habit but can be easily trained to fill out and respond to pinching and pruning. This is a very, very easy plant to work with and will teach you a lot about training plants.
Keep at it.
Regards,
Len

"As the twig is bent, so the tree inclines"
- Virgil
"I rarely agree with most of what I say........." -
- Len
_________
How To Post A Picture

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”