Jackie M.
Newly Registered

trunk chop maple seedlings

Hello,

I'm in the very beginning stages of bonsai ownership and am trying to dabble in starting some of my own bonsais, which I know can take a long time, but I'm not investing too much, so why not?

I've decided I'd like to try raising some oak and maple seedlings...some for full size trees and many for potential bonsai. But some of them have trunks that are several inches tall and look kind-of silly. I've been looking into trunk chop. Do you think I could do this? From what I've read on the internet, I may have waited just a bit too long, as it says to do trunk chops in the late spring or late winter. Even though I'd consider this mid-spring, the seedlings have their new leaves coming on already, so have I missed my chance to trunk chop? If so, should I go ahead and root trim and repot then trunk chop in late winter?

Thanks for any ideas,

Jackie

Victrinia Ridgeway

Jackie...

I'll keep it short... just so there can be no confusion. :D

Trunk chop and seedlings should not even be in the same sentance. :wink:

Let the seedlings grow. One does not generally trunk chop a tree until it has gotten a good way towards the ultimate size you would like. So it is doubtful that you would chop it for a few years. Use wire to put some shape into the trees and try any keep any lower branches that sprout viable... but mostly let them grow. :)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
La belle cose prendono tempo... (Beautiful things take time...)

Jackie M.
Newly Registered

trunk chop maple seedlings

Victrinia,

Wow. That was easy...just my style! Thanks. I'm glad to just let them grow.

Jackie

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hi Jackie, Glad you found this forum. Have you found a bonsai club/society in your area? There are some good ones around upstate/central NY. Hope you will consider checking them out.
TomM - Mohawk Valley Bonsai Club

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”