bogged
Newly Registered

Is this a good ideal

I have access to chicken litter from chicken house clean out so I would have a large amount. I have 23 acres of oak trees so I have an olmost unlimited supply of leaves and if I combine the two my husband will turn it for me any time. I would also have grass clippings and kitche stuff to add. Would this make for good compost and would it be ready to put on the garden next spring
Judy Kay

Jbest

I would mix the CL and leaves about 50/50 and make the pile as large as possible to extend the heat cycle. This fall after the garden is done I would spread it about 6" deep and till it under. If you have any red worms it should all be decomposed by spring. John
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy crap what a ride!!"

bogged
Newly Registered

Thanks. I do have the space to do this. The best garden I can remember as a child was whe we tore down an old chicken barn that had once held a 1000 laying hens. It had been empty at the time of demo for about 5 years so I didn't know how long would be best to let the cl decompse. The last time I used some of the litter was when we were trying to establish our lawn. We mowed 3 times a week that summer. Won't do that again :shock:
Judy Kay

Return to “Composting Forum”