victoryrules8
Newly Registered

Just planted my new yard and i need some help!

So heres the deal. this is my first post ever. after reading through the forums a little bit i realize how much knowledge there is in here. I really appreciate any help. So here it goes.. Me and my fiance are getting married this july cannot wait. we purchased our first home last july and took on the yard in march due to the warm temps and dry weather. We live in northern wisconsin right on the big lake. When we bought the house the yard was engolfed in brush and flowers. the flowers didnt bother me but the brush and weeds were a huge problem. We started by weed wacking everything down, cutting down some of the smaller trees that were just in the way, basically cleared everything down to nothing but pretty much dirt.. alot of work. after that my friend came in with a tracked bobcat about 2 weeks ago and leveled everything to grade and reused every little bit of dirt. i then purchased 5 yards of new black topsoil and spred it all over the yard and raked it with a fourwheeler and a piece of chain link fence, dragging the whole yard so that the new soil was evenly distributed.. after this now today is where i need the help to make sure i planted seed the right way.. The temps up here in n. WI are around high 50's to low to middle 60's during the day, and at night around 35 to 45 degrees. very dry right now the lake keep pulling moisture away from us. Today I started by spreading lime and fertilizer, i think 10-10-10 mixture if that rings a bell to anyone. after that i spread my grass seed which is a sport mixture for baseball fields and what not.. it is a mixture of k.bluegrasses, and some others as well. i don't recall the names off hand.. after that i lightly raked the whole yard and watered it twice, however it seems like the top of the dirt dries very quickly and i guess, When is the best time to water? and how good of results do you think i will have? We did so much work on this yard in the past month everyday all day pretty much and i just want it to be nice.. any other information or knowledge on this would really be appreciated.. Thank you in advance i will keep everyone posted as to how it turns out. Thank you all

Ryan

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. Congratulations on the new house and up-coming marriage! Sounds like you have done everything right so far. Water your grass seed (gently, you don't want it to wash away) every morning (unless you get rain that day). You don't have to water very deeply, since it doesn't have much roots yet. After it is sprouted and an inch or so tall, you start watering deeper and less often. Until then if you get any really hot sunny weather, you might even give it a light sprinkle in the afternoon too. You just don't want to let the seed dry out until it has a little bit of root and green established.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Here's the issues...

Turf grass that we Americans commonly use is a perennial rye/blugrass/fescue mix. These are all C3 or cool season plants... as long as it stays cool they will germinate and be happy... when it gets hot they tend to shut down...

Crabgrass and weeds tend to be C4 plants, or hot weather lovers, and ramp up as it gets hot...

Picture the year as a ruler with January at one inch and December at the other end. The growth curve for our C3 plants (our turf grass) looks like a whoop-de-doo in a roller coaster big hill in April/May, BIG dip in June/July August, with a littler hill in September November and back to sleep for the winter...

Our C4 curve looks like a hyperbola; just one big hill in June/July/August...

So our baby grass is just getting it's feet under it, and here comes hot weather to make it go dormat, JUST as the weeds are comng on strong...

which is why I always recommend fall plantings for lawn by seed. I am organic and would not use chemical fertilizers or pesticides to stop weeds, as they damage soil biology that helps feed grass, but this option is a personal choice you should make for yourself. If children or pets are part of the picture I strongly urger you NOT to go this route... LOTS of evidence emerging about harm from these chemicals to both groups...

I suggest the [url=https://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm]Weed Hound[/url]; the wife and I each have one. Hand pulling gets easier every year... I do think you are going to have weed issues this summer and you may want to rent an overseeder to add more grass seed in the fall to start choking out the weeds. High cutting (3-4 in.) with a mulching blade, returning clippings, will help some too. Keep us informed and we will help as we can...

HG
Scott Reil

victoryrules8
Newly Registered

Just planted my new yard and i need some help

Thank you for the help. I agree every little bit with everything. I took another step yesterday and put down some rye grass as well as straw. due to it being so dry here right now it seems like i water in the morning and all the moisture in the dirt is gone by 1 in the afternoon so then i will lightly water, and then i will water light to medium at about 7 at night once the sun is on its approach down, the guy at the feed store said that the ryw will come up fast and make a good base for the rest of the seeds. so thats what i am hoping for. i get so nervouse when the soil looks real dry at 1:00 pm so it makes me want to water. I also think that i will have some problems with weeds as well, i kinda figured that i would but i will definantly deal with them head on as they start to come up.. Oh one more thing, Is it ok to walk lightly acrossed your seed? i kinda have to,to move the sprinkler , i hope that it wont affect the growing of the seed.

applestar
Mod

Wouldn't it help to sow some clover? Probably not a whole lot because you don't want it to overwhelm the little grass seedlings. I think there are annual and biennial kind as opposed to perennial that may establish too strong a root system.

Also, have you considered sowing a native wildflower meadow? If I had the right kind of space, I would, and mow meandering paths through it.

victoryrules8
Newly Registered

the clover would be a good idea, the yard actually used to be a huge flower garden and it just was not worked for over 15 years so it just kinda grew up alot, we had alot of wisconsin native flowers and perrenials in the yard, in this yards prime it was actually featured in home and garden magazine, my mom came and dug up a ton of flowers and transplanted them at her house for this year, i did not want to ruin all of the flowers, so next year she will dig up some of the flowers she transplanted and bring them backup to our yard. this yard used to be so beautiful from what all of the neighbors have told me, however it just was not maintained so we kinda had to start over.

Return to “Lawn Care”