bobtheslob
Newly Registered

Pepper seedling problem

Hi I am growing various types of peppers under lights indoors. They all seem to be doing good except today I noticed one seedling the true leaves are starting to curl inwards sort of like rolling up. Any ideas the cause of this and how to fix it.

wolfie

can you post any pics?
Shan -
Who is learning to garden and loving every minute of it!

bobtheslob
Newly Registered

Unfortunately I don't have access to a camera at the moment. I look on line searching pepper leaf curl and most of the curling I saw online is upwards curling mine are downwards almost rolling up from the outer edges of the leafs. These seedling are just starting to get their 2nd true leaves. I posted this on another site and the only reply I got was about fertilizer and watering. I haven't fertilized them yet and I water them once a day with a spray bottle on misting. I don;t think I am over water because the soil is dried in between these watering.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You need to soak the plant! Those leaves curling down could well be wilt. Stick your finger below the soil surface, prior to misting, is it dry? I killed hundreds of seedlings last year, by failing to soak the pots at least once a week.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm, if you are just misting them, it is very probable that the surface moisture is just getting wicked away and the roots are not getting any moisture. Also, what are you growing them in?
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

RyanDe680
Cool Member

bobtheslob wrote: I don;t think I am over water because the soil is dried in between these watering.
I think that might be the problem.

I bottom water and top water once a week, on different days. I'll mist them probably 4 times a week (not a heavy mist).

I wouldn't drench the plant, but water it adequately. Peppers do not require a ton of water and will yellow if given too much. You'll find the appropriate amount after some experimentation.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”