Andromeda42
Newly Registered

Help on a gardening gift

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I'm not really here for myself. I need to buy a gift for my mother who is an avid gardener and I was hoping that perhaps you all might be able to give me some suggestions.

She has been a gardener for something like 40 years now - as a hobby. Now that she's retired, she's jumped into it full throttle and has joined a Master Gardener program at the local college. I think she graduated from it? If she hasn't, she will very soon. She has a full garden in her backyard, but I couldn't hazard a guess at what kind of plants she has back there (I'm the one with the black thumb - anything with a stem and leaves has a death wish around me, so I really don't know names :lol: ) Growing up I used to joke that there were so many plants inside the house that I needed a machete to get through the jungle! She also does a lot of volunteer gardening work at the church and other similar places.

So standard gardening equipment would probably not be a good idea since I'm sure she has that already. I'm trying to find "a gift for the gardener who has everything". In the past few years I've added to her garden collection with a sundial, a laughing buddha statue and windchimes, so that's all been done already. She also lives in NY... and I know that means she's in a different gardening zone than I am (Florida), so I need something she can use there. I also know she likes that guy on HGTV - I don't know his name, but I think he does the show from his house in... Oklahoma? So at first I was thinking of getting her the dvds of the series, but she's not really a tv/movie watcher... so that's out.

Any thoughts would be most helpful and definitely appreciated! I also look forward to checking out the rest of the forum since I'll be buying my own house soon and need to figure out what I am going to do with that yard. Perhaps I can change my thumb to green too :D

Grey
Greener Thumb

I am always running out of plant ties (I like those velcro ones), stakes, name plates/tags.... And one can NEVER have enough pots!

Some cute stuff I have seen lately are a gardening apron and matching gardening carry-all bag that holds the basic tools. They even sell those at Target.

Ummm... hmmm.... gift certificate to her favorite garden center? Maybe a course or seminar in her area on a particular plant? You can ask her local garden club about that. :)

garden_mom

Those are great ideas! Also, does she like to read? There are SO many good gardening books out there, whether to learn more about it or to read about other people's gardens. Gives a gardener something to do in the winter time, besides look at seed catalogs. :D

cottongin

garden_mom wrote:Those are great ideas! Also, does she like to read? There are SO many good gardening books out there, whether to learn more about it or to read about other people's gardens. Gives a gardener something to do in the winter time, besides look at seed catalogs. :D
Definitely! The winter is long in NY. Maybe some indoor plants to keep her entertained in the snowy times?

cottongin

oh good god, I was just taken in by some fools advertising funnels, wasn't I?

meesh
Cool Member

A great product is Messenger. People are hooked on it.

Grey
Greener Thumb

cottongin wrote:oh good god, I was just taken in by some fools advertising funnels, wasn't I?
I just edited that post. Sneaky, sneaky some of these folks are!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”