hypnerotomachia
Newly Registered

Shade

What shade plants would anyone recommend :?:

AmyMarchetti
Newly Registered

shade plants I have are...

Hi,
I don't know where you live but I live in Michigan and my house faces north so had to research what I could grow with only 3-4 hours of sun. These are doing well...barberry (a dwarf shrub that has dark red foliage in summer- will be more red with more sun but mine are facing north and I have plenty of red to make them stand out), dwarf hinoki cypress (dark green evergreen so stays green all winter), and of course, the old standby, hostas (so many varieties who could get bored of them?!). I also planted some caladiums last summer under a tree on the north side and they also are very pretty with large palm-like veiny leaves. Hope this helps!

meesh
Cool Member

Where do you live? I grow mostly shade to partial shade plants and I prefer them even though I have lots of sun. Primula, hardy orchids, heuchera, hardy fuchsia, hosta, etc. I could make many suggestions just need to know your zone(and I hope that I'm familiar with it).

hypnerotomachia
Newly Registered

i live in scotland

meesh
Cool Member

Oh it must be a beautiful place to live. So, your zones appear to be quite similar to mine here in the northwestern US. Some of my favorite shade plants in addition to the ones I already mentioned;hellebores, tree peonies, ferns(especially painted ferns), podophyllum, astilbe, japanese forest grass, skimmia, pierus, and hardy geraniums. I grow all of these in containers right now. Do you ever get to England? I search webpages from the nurseries there and they have such wonderful varieties that I can't get here.

s p a r k l e
Newly Registered

I'm planting different ferns, hostas, woodland cyclamen, wild garlic and wild strawberries in the shady patch

Dedee

Is your area full shade or is it filtered like under a tree where the sun peeks thrue off and on thrue out the day? I have filtered shade (I call it ) and I have the following and they all do well Dianthis, Columbine, Mums, Creeping Phlox, Tulips, Elephant Ears, Hostas, Moon Plant, Cannas, Impatience, Coleaus, Dusty Miller,Begonia and I have Wave Petunia and Dahlia which are full sun plants but mine are beautiful and only gets filtered sun for 3-4 hours a day.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”