KarenZapata
Newly Registered

Weeping willow dropping green branches

Help! My 5 year old weeping willow is dropping large green branches. Every week or so we find a large (2 to 3 inches in diameter) branch either hanging by a strip of bark or lying on the ground. The tree looks healthy other than a lot of woodpecker damage on the trunk. Is there anything I can do?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Weeping willows tend to drop a lot of small branchlets throughout the year, so if they are just the small branches and not large ones, I wouldn't be to concerned.

Seth
Newly Registered

Indeed, weeping willows drop branches. Although they are a beautiful tree, many people have an aversion to them because of their behavior of dropping branches, weak trunks, and thier horrible habit of growing their roots into sewage lines and septic tanks.

If there is woodpecker damage on the trunk it may be a sign that your willow is infested with boring insects.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That is exactly why we removed ours (the septic tank thing).

KarenZapata
Newly Registered

Yikes! We don't have a septic system, but our tree is planted next to the swimming pool. Is it possible that it could hurt the pool?

By the way, the branches have stopped dropping off for now. :) But how do I know if it's infected with boring insects?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It could be a problem, I'd have it looked at.

You'd have to look at the tree and inspect it to see if it is infected with something.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”