coconutmilk123
Newly Registered

Mini Chusan Palm Winter Help

Hello for my new Mini Chusan Palm I've planned something to do for it during winter, I'm going to bury its bottom with hay and I'm going to cut its leaves off and cover it with a blanket and use steaks to keep the blanket in place. Is this smart? If not give me tips please!
I can't wait till my Trachycarpus Wagnerianus (Mini Windmill Palm) is 30ft!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

I have not grown that plant, but after Googling it, I don't understand why you would need to make such an effort to protect it during the winter. In what hardiness zone do you live?

Miniature Chusan palms are pretty tough. They can they can tolerate temperatures down to about 5°F to 0°F. (-15°C to -18°C), and even survive frosts. Are the winters in your area colder than that? If they are, it might be simpler to move the plant into a protected area, such as a garage or basement, to winter over.

I'm no so sure cutting it's leaves off would be helpful to the plant.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

coconutmilk123
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Welcome to the forum! :)

I have not grown that plant, but after Googling it, I don't understand why you would need to make such an effort to protect it during the winter. In what hardiness zone do you live?

Miniature Chusan palms are pretty tough. They can they can tolerate temperatures down to about 5°F to 0°F. (-15°C to -18°C), and even survive frosts. Are the winters in your area colder than that? If they are, it might be simpler to move the plant into a protected area, such as a garage or basement, to winter over.

I'm no so sure cutting it's leaves off would be helpful to the plant.
I live in Zone 5b super close to 6a and 6b
I can't wait till my Trachycarpus Wagnerianus (Mini Windmill Palm) is 30ft!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”