Ursaminor

Marigold Looking Down. Could it be Bugs??

I've noticed lately that my marigold plant has not been looking the way it use to. I know it has to do with the weather getting colder but I've also noticed that there are some bugs on the leaves. The are really small. but i can see them on the leaves. Is there anything i can do get rid of them or should i finally give in to the inevitable and trash my plant? I would post pictures but I couldn't get a good one.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Except in the tropics, marigolds are annuals. They only last one season, but they will usually flower until killed by frost. If you live in an area that will experience frost very soon, you might want to just let the plant go.

You could wash the bugs off with a spray of water from the garden hose, or if the container is small enough to be handled easily, you could just wash the plant off under a faucet.

Another treatment would be to spray the bugs with a solution of 1 tsp pure soap dissolved in 1 qt of water. Be careful to use real soap, and not detergent. Detergent can burn the leaves of the plant.

If you decide to treat the bugs, be sure to spray or wash both sides of all the leaves and also the stems. You should repeat the treatment every 7 to 10 days to kill any new ones that hatch out.

HTH! :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Ursaminor

thank you for the tips, it is starting to get colder and i know it will die soon. I just want to see how long I can keep it alive.

Ursaminor

could i use dish soap?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You should read the label. If it says soap, it'll be fine. If it says detergent, I wouldn't recommend it for plants.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”