mdistefano
Newly Registered

need more sun in my garden

please help.
i have an area between my house and my neighbors'. it is only about 6 feet between the houses and my neighbor, who doesn't use it...as it is technically his land, said I can use it for a vege garden. however, not a lot of sun gets down in between the houses. wondering if there is any way to reflect the sun's light down in there. the sun gets to about 4 feet from the ground but not all the way down. could i use mirrors? anything like that? thanks for your help.

applestar
Mod

If both walls were white, it would be a lot brighter in there, and, yes, if you positioned mirrors or some other shiny material (I've heard of people using mylar wrapped wall insulation) where the sun hits, you *could* direct the sunlight further down. (This time of the year, my Kitchen Garden gets a shiny spot of sunlight from the rising sun reflecting off the 2nd floor windows) But all this depends on which direction the sun is shining from. Also, when you say 4 feet up, is that now or in the height of the summer? The sun travels higher up in the sky then.

That said, you still may not be able to grow sun-hungry kind of vegetables. But there are varying degrees of light requirements for different kinds of veggies.

There may yet be hope!

Rob_NZ

You could try raising the ground level with paving/strong decking and then put some raised beds in. That might get you to 4 ft.

However, expensive, lot's of soil needed and someone else's property. Or have you seen those vertical gardening systems? Google it and take a look. That would work for sure, the draw-back being you will be limited to shallow rooted veges only.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm with marlingardener. Why go to ridiculous lengths to try to grow veggies in a space that's clearly not suited to them? Surely you must have some other spot where you could have at least a few containers of veggies, where the sun does come. Grow a lovely shade garden in the shady area-- hostas, ferns, columbines, lenten roses, astilbe, pulmonaria, anemones would all love your shady spot.

Rob_NZ

rainbowgardener wrote:I'm with marlingardener. Why go to ridiculous lengths to try to grow veggies in a space that's clearly not suited to them? Surely you must have some other spot where you could have at least a few containers of veggies, where the sun does come. Grow a lovely shade garden in the shady area-- hostas, ferns, columbines, lenten roses, astilbe, pulmonaria, anemones would all love your shady spot.
Ridiculous lengths, lol, why, becasue they involve work? :) Decking and raised beds are easy, surely.

Now then, where's my hostas and ferns, need something to go with my salmon :twisted: :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ridiculous lengths, lol, why, becasue they involve work?

Because they involve a lot of work and money and make the space look ugly (big mylar panels?) and at the end you still have a pretty shady spot where veggies are not going to thrive, even if they can now survive.

If you read any of my posts about building retaining walls by hand carrying concrete blocks down my very steep slope, I'm not opposed to hard work.

applestar
Mod

Heh, heh. Just to be contrary here, I say if you look up "garden mirrors", you'll find plenty of beautiful examples. I could see myself doing things like that with Freecycle or flea market mirrors, you know? In fact, it's one of my backburner projects :wink: A mirror mosaic being one of them. 8)

Construction materials may not be pretty, but there ARE ways to make them look better -- more INTENTIONAL, artistic, or sculptural, especially depending on the overall garden design.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying out crazy ideas since *I*m known for doing a good few of them myself. :roll: :lol:

Rob_NZ, I eat Ostrich Fern fiddles with my salmon in spring. :>

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”