Dwight
Newly Registered
Location: Back in 1934 I was born and now I'm 75 years old and been gardening for well over 30 years now despi

Planting Carrots--rabbits eating them

I made a new garden over the summer to plant carrots. I usually don't read about growing vegetables very much I just put them in the dirt then eat them. Anyways the carrots are very tasty and I love them but there's a problem!

There are now these rabbits that enter my yard and take the carrots and eat them. At first it was funny but now it's just annoying.

I haven't had enough carrots for stew lately and have to buy store bought ones which have sat in a truck or been flown in from gosh knows where and are too expensive and usually not full of flavour like my home grown carrots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rabbits in the garden

Hi and welcome to the forum! Hope you find us friendly and helpful.

A good place to start is to type a keyword, in this case rabbits, into the search box in the upper left of most pages. That will take you to all the stuff that's been written here already on your topic. This site is huge and there's tons of thoughtful stuff here on many topics.

Here's one link to start you off where people are talking about how they work on keeping rabbits out of gardens:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2350

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Gee, rabbits eating carrots, imagine that! :lol: Makes me think of those old bugs bunny cartoons.

Seriously, I've never had a problem with rabbuts in the garden even though I'm very rural and rabbits are all over out here. I'll count myself fortunate. The yard being fenced in with one outiside dog and two small inside dogs could be what keeps our rabbits at bay.

Anyway, I've seen the shortest of rabbit fences made of chicken wire only a foot or 18 inches tall that are supposed to be nearly perfect at keeping the critters out of the garden. That is probably the cheapest and most effective method. Good luck. Wish I could grow good home grown carrots. Here in S.C. my carrots have never gotten sweet and have an almost chemical taste, nothing like those wonderfully sweet California carrots.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

nes
Green Thumb

Hubby thinks I'm crazy for ordering two kinds of carrots for next year, but after those delicious little bits of orange heaven that came out of my garden this year I don't think I can go back to store-bought!! :D.

If you're going to put in a rabbit fence make sure you bury it down 1'!
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

SP8
Green Thumb

jmoore wrote: PS - This post will probably get deleted by a mod.
Yeah mine did although I was being sincere......

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of going Rabbit trapping with my father and the ensuing feast that was had afterwards.
I >>used to<< grow vegetables in containers on my balcony and this >>was<< my Blog:
VEGGIE-MIGHT

jmoore

SP8 wrote:
jmoore wrote: PS - This post will probably get deleted by a mod.
Yeah mine did although I was being sincere......

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of going Rabbit trapping with my father and the ensuing feast that was had afterwards.
I'm sorry I didn't see your post.

I was being sincere as well. I have many excellent memories of time spent in the field with my family and friends. I'm sure there are many more who are the same.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”