KeenCarlene
Newly Registered

Hydrangea needs help

I live in Southern Connecticut and planted my pink hydrangea mid-July. I believe it's the Mophead variety. It's a small plant that I bought from a Home Improvement center and after a few days, it started looking quite sad! So, I bought a support ring to keep the blooms from laying on the ground and fed it Miracle Grow (I'm also watering every 2 days). The bloom heads are turning yellow/tan and drying out. It is planted along-side a fence and gets sun toward the end of the day. Should I trim the dead heads off? Is my plant dieing? I see so many Hydrangeas flourishing in our area...mine looks like it has a death sentence! BTW, I also noticed a slug in the soil nearby...should I try the old beer in a shallow dish trick? HELP :D

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Late afternoon sun for newly planted plants isn't good since its the hottest part of the day. You might want to deadhead the flowers to help the plant. I wouldn't use Miracle Grow now and watering twice a week is sufficient. You need to get the roots to grow not the top of the plant, so mix in some bone meal in the soil.

KeenCarlene
Newly Registered

Thank you, I'll give the bone meal a try and cut back on the watering.

Return to “Perennials”