MBethC04
Newly Registered

Frozen Japanese Maple

Two weeks ago we planted a Bloodgood Japanese maple in our front garden. It was doing fine while temperatures were nice, but we had an unexpected freeze and snow. Now all the leaves are turning yellow and wilting. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Do you think this did any harm to the tree....it sure would be a shame because it's such a beautiful tree. --Beth

Brad

Was the tree in the process of leafing out, or was there mature foliage on the tree when you installed it?

Either way, you will probably be seeing all of the foliage drop off and over the course of several weeks, you should see new buds form. It should leaf out again from there.

MBethC04
Newly Registered

The tree had mature foliage on it already. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it is a large tree already (probably 8 or 9 feet tall). We bought it large because we heard they grow slowly.

Brad

Where are you located? Colorado? I am just curious as to where you are versus the grower of the maple. Did you buy it at a garden center?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I remember installing a very nice 10' Bloodgood at a customers and a late freeze burned the leaves but good. I will tell you what I told her when she wanted me to remove it...

Ever had a bad haircut? Did you cut your head off?

It'll be fine... :)

Scott

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”