cptmclark
Newly Registered

Muskmellon frustration

I have planted one hill of muskmellon, two plants. The vine has grown vigorously, and there have been and are lots of blooms. Although it continues to grow longer vines, there is no fruit. I studied what I can about gender of blossoms, and as far as I can tell, all of mine are boys. The vines themselves have had moldy looking spots on the leaves, and I have treated twice with an antifungal spray. Looks like it's time to do it again. The older leaves turn brown and wither, so near the center of the plant (the hill) it's getting bare. Howver the many runs of vine are growing quickly. The garden area stays moist. Wet summer here, and when it gets dry I water it at night. I read about artificial insemination, and it sounds easy enough, if I could fine a female blossom to polenate. The blooms I do have (no little bump under it) don't have the fuzzy things in the center I expected to see on male blooms. I also read there is only one day of the year when the female is receptive. How do I know when to polinate, IF I can find one? Of course I'm likely all wrong about these assumptions and will be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

cptmclark
Newly Registered

PS: I've sprayed Sevin for bugs a couple of times and may and injured the bee population. Last time was about July 15, and we've had substantial rain since then.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”