keith_in_va
Newly Registered

Planting Common Boxwoods

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums, and I had a question for you all. My wife and I wanted to plant boxwoods along the front and side of our wrap-around porch. We are located in Northern VA. The front of our house faces South Southwest so it gets a significant amount of sun all day. When do you think would be the best time to plant them? I was thinking end of September/early October, but I'm new to landscaping so I'm not positive. We will probably be planting about 15 plants or so, so I want to make sure they don't all die right away! Thanks for your help!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

October/November and please make certain you make the hole adequate, in other words don't use a shoe horn to plant the boxwoods. Amend the soil that you backfill, with a handful of bonemeal to promote root growth and tamp down the lose soil before watering with the end of your shovel and then again after watering to get all the air holes out.

keith_in_va
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice! I guess I was afraid that planting that late wouldn't give the plants enough time to really take to being in the ground as opposed to a pot. Will it be worse off if I planted earlier? Also, how much should I water after planting? I've heard some people say every day and some people say once a week. I don't want to drown them, but I want to make sure they have enough too! Thanks again...

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Plants can be planted anytime but since you are a novice its best to it when plants are dormant. Water two times a week and wet the leaves as well. Yes you can overwater.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”